Remove the party system?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Remove the party system?

Yes
13%
No
74%
Not sure
13%

Total votes: 47

Dante

Remove the party system?

Post by Dante »

This is beginning to frustrate me on quests etc...

What do you guys think?
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Cirius Do'Brim

Re: Remove the party system?

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

Don't see a problem with it.
Talerco Pious

Post by Talerco Pious »

If it's one party making most dmg on all the mobs and taking the loot, the problem is in the quest mobs spawning loot, not the party system
I whine, therefore I am
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Talerco Pious wrote:If it's one party making most dmg on all the mobs and taking the loot, the problem is in the quest mobs spawning loot, not the party system
this.
i think the party system isn't bad, but this quest thing is annoying me.
the same group loots everything all the time :P
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

A nifty dot-command for GM's sounds like a fast solution.

.nothingwrongwithpartysystemfixquestmoblootinstead
Dante

Post by Dante »

The problem is, when creating monsters if they don't hold loot people don't attend or find it boring.

Yes there's a dot command and I could do that, but then I'd have complaints about it being pointless and not worthwhile turning up.

So either we have loot + No party system + reduced quest deeds.

Or

No loot + Party System + Better quest deeds.

But what about the people that don't stay for the entire quest? or turn up late?
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

I remember this one dick staff member who didn't allow players joining late and if you left early, there was no prize.

Regardless of that -> an annoying dot-command should do the trick at least on main mobs. Use dot-command, click monster and party system doesn't count.
tehsquish

Post by tehsquish »

Over the past 2 days I observed some of the worst quest behavior in a while. I don't think you can totally abolish the party system because of it - quests just need to be adjusted.

Having quests be a fight for loot absolutely ruins them. What about class differences? You expect a caster or archer to get the same opportunities to loot as a tank? You think the religions are actually going to share any of the loot they get from other's hard work?

Nobody rez's eachother - people's things disappear (looking at you whoever made off with half my minotaur bones, jewels, and sandals), things take 3 times as long as they actually should.

Not to mention it completely diminishes any roleplay value the quest might have.

Its a frustrating mess.

I could go on and on and on... but I think people are tired of hearing me whine about it =P.

Edit: Sorry! More on topic - I was thinking... Do we really need the party system? When is is actually useful? When is it a hindrance? Now that I think more about it... maybe we don't need it and corpses are just free for all loot you mean?
Last edited by tehsquish on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

tehsquish wrote: Having quests be a fight for loot absolutely ruins them. What about class differences? You expect a caster or archer to get the same opportunities to loot as a tank? You think the religions are actually going to share any of the loot they get from other's hard work?
Archers do a lot of damage, so they should get better chance of looting rights compared to a barbarian. Archer parties have historically been able to loot a lot. Doubt the religions will share though.
tehsquish wrote:Nobody rez's eachother - people's things disappear (looking at you whoever made off with half my minotaur bones, jewels, and sandals), things take 3 times as long as they actually should.
That's too bad.

Ultimately the group with the best dps will loot the most. I think it makes more sense than a system where everyone has equal looting rights, since that would reward people who are quick to click the corpses rather than those doing the work. Gearing the system towards quest rewards seems like a good idea, but no one is every happy with the rewards. They seem difficult to balance.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
tehsquish

Post by tehsquish »

Yes but archers also stand from afar much of the time - in your race to loot scenario how do they get equal right to the work?

Think about it.

Edit: sorry I misread - I thought you were advocating a free-for-all system

So what you're saying then is it should be left the way it is....

You're essentially making quests only for religions then. They're the only ones who have the tanks to absorb the damage to get the loot. I understand why a minority would like it but its simply not good for the shard - you wonder why we don't get new players and then you throw them under the bus at every opportunity.
Last edited by tehsquish on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.