Remove the party system?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Remove the party system?

Yes
13%
No
74%
Not sure
13%

Total votes: 47

Jyrgen

Re: Remove the party system?

Post by Jyrgen »

Mike wrote:Ultimately the group with the best dps will loot the most. I think it makes more sense than a system where everyone has equal looting rights, since that would reward people who are quick to click the corpses rather than those doing the work. Gearing the system towards quest rewards seems like a good idea, but no one is every happy with the rewards. They seem difficult to balance.
Agreed. Back in the days when we didn't have the party system, there were some people in quests who weren't fighting, but rather were ready to click the corpse as soon as the creature dropped. I suppose overhaul of the current quest deed is needed if you intend to remove monsters' loot.
Dante

Post by Dante »

Jyrgen wrote:
Mike wrote:Ultimately the group with the best dps will loot the most. I think it makes more sense than a system where everyone has equal looting rights, since that would reward people who are quick to click the corpses rather than those doing the work. Gearing the system towards quest rewards seems like a good idea, but no one is every happy with the rewards. They seem difficult to balance.
Agreed. Back in the days when we didn't have the party system, there were some people in quests who weren't fighting, but rather were ready to click the corpse as soon as the creature dropped. I suppose overhaul of the current quest deed is needed if you intend to remove monsters' loot.

These makes sense I could imagine nooby chars waiting for a balron to be killed for a quick grab of the loot.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Demian

Post by Demian »

If the quest reward was good enough I see no problem with removing loot. But on the other hand the current system favours those that do the most work. And that's how it should be. If monsters drop no loot but the reward is huge then it's the same thing as it was when there was no party system. People who do nothing get handsomely rewarded anyway.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

Dante wrote:
So either we have loot + No party system + reduced quest deeds.

Or

No loot + Party System + Better quest deeds.

But what about the people that don't stay for the entire quest? or turn up late?
yes, i was one of those people. i was there from the beggining (or almost) but didn't stay up for the entire quest, at some point i left, then i returned and stayed for a while.
went to gear myself properly for the fire beast and when i came back it was dead :/

i think it's better to have no loot at all and good quest deeds.
so what if ppl who are doing less (noobs, non-religious chars) are getting the same loot?
it's MUCH MORE fair that everyone gets the same reward than just a few getting all the phat loot because they deal most damage and make parties that even have members of different religions inside the party (what ppl do for the looting rights! (lol joking))
Demian wrote:If the quest reward was good enough I see no problem with removing loot. But on the other hand the current system favours those that do the most work. And that's how it should be. If monsters drop no loot but the reward is huge then it's the same thing as it was when there was no party system. People who do nothing get handsomely rewarded anyway.
demian, you are partially right. i mean, you're right in theory, but in practice that's not what happens.
if you do 60% or the work and i do 40% you don't get 60% of the loot while i get 40%. what happens in reality is, you get 100% and i get 0%

all in all, i prefer everyone having the same reward (quest deed in the end) which is way way way more fair
Cruxis Bane

Post by Cruxis Bane »

Removal of the party system just because of quests seems like drastic... Especially considering all the additions that have been made to it. A definite no.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Dante wrote:This is beginning to frustrate me on quests etc...

What do you guys think?
Would be better if the Lawture secret alliance would just fight as separate entities instead of as one massive zerg. They're seriously ruining any reason for joining those quests. The party system isn't the problem afaik, it's one massive party that is looting everything and selfishly ninja looting all of the corpses.
Demian

Post by Demian »

Glarundis wrote:
Demian wrote:If the quest reward was good enough I see no problem with removing loot. But on the other hand the current system favours those that do the most work. And that's how it should be. If monsters drop no loot but the reward is huge then it's the same thing as it was when there was no party system. People who do nothing get handsomely rewarded anyway.
demian, you are partially right. i mean, you're right in theory, but in practice that's not what happens.
if you do 60% or the work and i do 40% you don't get 60% of the loot while i get 40%. what happens in reality is, you get 100% and i get 0%

all in all, i prefer everyone having the same reward (quest deed in the end) which is way way way more fair
True. But that mostly only applies to boss mobs. Like in the last quest, we killed alot of Lotas (not all of them) with our group and there was no one else helping us kill those. Thus we should get loot from them. Or why else bother.

I guess I'd suggest only remove loot from the biggest mobs like void, balrons etc. (Or whatever happens to be the toughest mobs in the quest).
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

the problem isn't lawture, is any "alliance" big/strong enough to get ALL the loot (not just a percentage accordingly to the dmg they deal) be it lawture or imptek or FCDMS or whatever one can think of
tehsquish

Post by tehsquish »

Demian wrote: True. But that mostly only applies to boss mobs. Like in the last quest, we killed alot of Lotas (not all of them) with our group and there was no one else helping us kill those. Thus we should get loot from them. Or why else bother.
That's the whole point. You wouldn't have been off killing them alone you'd have been helping the group kill them more efficiently.
Arden Darkfall

Post by Arden Darkfall »

The party system is very useful in other situations.

Dante, I've been enjoying your quests, though today's and yesterday's were followed at a distance (just watching people whine in maps :D). It brings activity and gathers players, but eventually you'll probably realize that you can control the quest and it's participants yourself if you play smaller quests.

Players themselves could try harder and create new quests, either it be hack 'n slash quests like these or more puzzled ones. Religion/Guild quests can also be created, if people have ideas and expose them to you, obviously. Your own quests could be done gathering a bunch of people through prior recruiting and closing the quest area (something along the lines you did in Covetous the other day, though it seemed hard to get those 3 players considering the amount of times you asked for them) :P But if done with 30/40+ players online, shouldn't be too hard to get a team going. Asking for 3 when there are 10 online is harder.

Either way, players themselves are to blame for these issues. If there are no quests, players complain that they want more fun events. When quests are made, players care only about loot, and if suddenly we're talking about reducing loot, they threaten not to appear because they "deserve" more loot than others. Way to go :!: