Carpenter Boost - Remove the newbie Boats

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Remove it?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 50

Edward Sinclair

Re: Carpenter Boost - Remove the newbie Boats

Post by Edward Sinclair »

Maybe the boats won't decay, but make it so that older/damaged boats are slower/less efficient or even begin having lives of their own (!) to encourage people having their boats serviced?

Damaged boats:
1) can't use hatches as well
2) storage capacity limited
3) travels 1-2 tiles less per second
4) resurrection rate/efficiency decreased
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

Edward Sinclair wrote:4) resurrection rate/efficiency decreased
I see that as the only viable solution.

Instead of a decreased the resurrection rate (i.e. -50% every step), I'd disable resurrecting completely. Lets say every 3 months with notifications beforehand.
Arden Darkfall

Post by Arden Darkfall »

Ressurection charges loaded to the boat by carpenters. Faster ressurections, market for carpenters.
Dante

Post by Dante »

Ressurection runes with a max of 10 or so. Cool idea.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Elsabet

Post by Elsabet »

Just get rid of carpenters, give tinkers and bowcrafters 100% carpentry instead of 85%. Make the carpentry skill work with armslore/item id. You lose tremendous amounts of resources trying to craft boats...its the most annoying part of it all..

How to increase the demand for carpenter boats:

a) don't let npcs sell boats anymore

b) increase the perks of having a carpenter made boat
1. Increased speed (for outrunning mobs/traveling)
2. No mobs can spawn on your boat

Only two kinds of people buy carpenter boats...cooks and tamers. Cooks buy a carpenter boat for the increased resurrections...tamers buy it so they can get places and have better resurrections. That's a very small market and I would say after 6 months I was only able to sell like...4 boats total. Instead of taking away newbie, make them more desirable? Make it so folks will want 2-3 of them...
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

House boats, brah. House boats!
Thetis Ce'Elel

Post by Thetis Ce'Elel »

Bella Pious wrote:Make larger boats non-lootable but needs repair -- say for every 90 mins on water it will need to be repaired/refueled. People can't launch a boat at shore waiting to escape because the boat cannot be in water forever.

Make smaller boats lootable but do not need repair -- so for cooks who needs to fish for hours need not to worry about a stuck boat in the middle of nowhere.
Pretty much what she sayed. Maybe the bigger boats still should be able to move, but reaaaaally slow... so you can sail to city.
Arden Darkfall wrote:Ressurection charges loaded to the boat by carpenters. Faster ressurections, market for carpenters.
I have a cook and a tamer... and I really don't believe that removing newbi from boats will increase the sells... I rather seek something people would spend their money on, like faster ressurections.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Cirius Do'Brim wrote:House boats, brah. House boats!
Ability to log out in your boat! Smexy!

Oh yes, i voted no.

Because;

* I see no reason why the trouble to make them should be for nothing - they are very balanced via pain vs. gain.
* There are not enough perks on boats.
* High end boats (in my little boat-experience) have too little advantage over smaller boats considering how hard they are to make. Pain =/= gain.

Suggestions;

* Add charges to boats (drydock = consuming durability)
* If your boat is always on the sea (at docks) the durability consumption should lower faster (say, 1 durability per 24h?)

Additional input;

Im frankly not much of experienced with Boats and i wouldn't even care to buy the most expensive one because the difference is close to non-existant vs. clusters.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Elsabet wrote:b) increase the perks of having a carpenter made boat
1. Increased speed (for outrunning mobs/traveling)
2. No mobs can spawn on your boat
I like these but our boat system would need a big overhaul as our boats are way to sluggish now and it isn't about the speed at which they move it's about the way in which POL handles boat movement, the later POL cores handle them better, particularly 099 so I have heard but it requires a core upgrade and if we just to 099 you're bouncing over 2 core versions.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

No. This will not solve the carpenter issue. There are quite a few other (better) options.

Also, I never found such a huge issue with making boats with my carpenter... not sure what you're all doing wrong.