stat-locking potion

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

is this worth implementing?

yes
13%
no
87%

Total votes: 45

Quintoz

Re: stat-locking potion

Post by Quintoz »

You could just drop your dex for the period of time you'll be training and let your int run wild... just an idea.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Demian

Post by Demian »

Zaradon wrote:
Demian wrote: And this is from an assassin with 115/155/2 stats. No need to make even this too easymode.

Well, not trying to be a jerk here but you have an Alchemist alt and it's not hard for you to keep your ideal stats.
Whereas i am in the smelly situation with my barbarian who intentionally switched from 105 tactics to get 105 anatomy.

Now, i can barely get a gain while i drink 100 Gmanavamps (keeping int max at 20).

And the gains are still unbeliveably inhumane..
Yeah I knew someone would mention me having an alchemist. But I'm pretty lazy when it comes to playing that char. Ask Jon, I've bought a lot of manavampires from him too. And even if I made the potions myself, I would still be losing more gold than with the stat-locking potion. Trust me, I'm not against this idea to make more gold on my alchemist, I never even sell potions unless someone is really needy and can't find anyone else.
Dante

Post by Dante »

Again,

I still feel this affects the alchemist's market a bit too much and it requires a lot of fine tuning in relation to the loss of stat dropping potion income.

Also it just makes heighten training that bit easier, or generally sparring - Another thing not to worry about.

As Quintoz quite rightly stated - if you're training a skill that uses dex for instance, drop another skill for the time being to compensate for the extra stat loss.

And by the time we've implemented these 15, 30 1 hour stat locking potions, people will complain that they're either too expensive, ruining the alchemy market or their duration sucks/isn't great for sparring sessions of 10+ hours.

So again, sorry it is a no from me to any form of stat locking.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Even if its a bit off topic, affecting alchemist markets shouldnt realy be a problem, even without manavampires included in i made order for 1.2mill a week or two ago and im about to make another one. There is plenty of profit in that and most of the were for special potions, gheals were less than 5th of the price. Im wasting those potions with great speed of 10/day nearly and i bought 100 of each of them.

So if you ask me, do alchemists make money with gmanavamps imo. its not most of their income still... its only a tiny fraction of it. So stat locking in my mind would be viable option aswell, even rather i'd have the stat lock instead of potion that locks them.

Another idea is ofcourse make a statlocking potion that costs 10k, but locks all stats for 12 hours as an example. Thus you basicaly would need 10k per day to keep your stats good and thats basic what you need to pay for each a dungeon run in greater manavamps.
Adram

Post by Adram »

alchemy market aside..
does it make sense that a fully trained character should have to avoid using his skills?
does it makes sense to cost 10k per hunt?

honestly dont even look at "hurting market", just put it as it should be.
if its how it should be then leave it.

an alternative that i think makes a lot of sense would be to have all stats slow down equally as you get closer to your stat-cap, instead of each stat considered individually. Then you would just reach a plateau where all stats gain at some determined rate instead of some gaining slow, and some gaining ridiculously fast
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Cirius Do'Brim wrote:Otherwise I think these potions would have a new purpose. You use normal stat potions to shape stats, then you use these lock potions when they're ideal. How to balance that out, so it doesn't mess up alchemist markets is another deal. When everyone would have their ideal stats, they'd only drink lock potions and they'd literally need to be 3-4 times more expensive than normal stat potions. We have people with HC stats and keeping those HC stats means a lot of business to alchemists.
It's only hard to balance out if you try to make sure alchemist still earn the exact same amount of gold. However, that's not the purpose. If on the long run these potions cost exactly the same, or god forbid more than the current potions then scripting this truly is unnecessary. If it has no other benefit than to drink one potion instead of 10, there is no real purpose for a player to use these instead of regular stat-drop potions.

That said, when I suggested these potions I pictured the same scenario Ares mentioned: People would use mana-vampires and alike while they are hunting, but when they are macroing actively, they drink this new potion. For this potion to have an effect, it has to be cheaper than the current method. It might not be cheaper for every player, but it should definitely be greatly cheaper if you are in the same situation as Demian with his 2 int or Zaradon with 20 int. In both cases the player drinks the "Intelligence-lock potion" and for the next hour they can train their int-based skills without fear of gaining. For me, especially for my priest, drinking manavampires/clumsies while training should still be cheaper due to not so rapid stat-gains, but for Demian, Ivan, Zaradon or for anyone else with barely any int, these new potions are a saver.

Basically, depending of the character's current stats, these is a "turning point" where either the old method or this new method is cheaper. If you have higher stats, the old method is cheaper, but if you have low stats, the new method is cheaper.
Cirre wrote:It's still pretty hard to balance out. At best barbarians drink more vamps than gheals... while another class may find it completely useless.
I don't see this as a problem either. I intentionally suggested the potion with both barbarians and assassins in mind. I myself, as a priest and a knight have barely any use for such potion due to the fact that I don't have to keep my stats so low, but I'm sure assassins and barbarians who try to train their heighten gains while keeping low int, would love to have this kind of potion. That said, even if it's "useless" to some classes don't mean there is a problem. For example you don't have magic-users drinking reactive armor potions, yet the potions are far from useless.
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

I see the point of the potion, I just don't think it's worth the gamble.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Adram wrote:alchemy market aside..
does it make sense that a fully trained character should have to avoid using his skills?
does it makes sense to cost 10k per hunt?

honestly dont even look at "hurting market", just put it as it should be.
if its how it should be then leave it.

an alternative that i think makes a lot of sense would be to have all stats slow down equally as you get closer to your stat-cap, instead of each stat considered individually. Then you would just reach a plateau where all stats gain at some determined rate instead of some gaining slow, and some gaining ridiculously fast
Whos forcing you too use those exact stats then? :D
If you want a min-maxed char that can hunt SLIGHTLY faster you pay the price of drinking mana vamps, find a better balance make more profit.

Everybody seems to think that a baba should have max str, as much dex as possible and 2-5 int... I was running with 30 int my baba and in the end I might do 1 less hit per minute but atleast I didn't lose a whole bunch of money drinking mana vamps.

The reason why this isen't a problem is because years ago people weren't idiots that was just trying to min-max, apperently now we are.

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Reason it is important, is because there is no other way to improve your character further. Besides stats are essential part of your character, especialy for those that use slow weapons. Even 10-20 dexterity has huge effect on halberd swing speed.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Ivan wrote:Reason it is important, is because there is no other way to improve your character further. Besides stats are essential part of your character, especialy for those that use slow weapons. Even 10-20 dexterity has huge effect on halberd swing speed.
and that's why we have stat adjusting potions to start with, if you want a min-maxed character that's fine but don't come crying about how much gold you're paying to keep it that way.