What to do re: PvP #6

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Introduce .pvpon/.pvpoff

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 68

Iktomi

What to do re: PvP #6

Post by Iktomi »

This poll relates to this General post.

Implement .pvpon/.pvpoff, allowing players to opt out of PvP.
Darian Darkmind

Re: What to do re: PvP #6

Post by Darian Darkmind »

With this little information, it's pretty impossible for me to vote.

What about robbers? Although we have none now, this would pretty much be the last nail to their coffin.

I think the main problem currently is killing people who hunt/do something else than PvP. I think this might work as long as it can't be activated within an hour of previous PvP. Also, I think it should not work against robbers (bringing back the robber command?).

I've suggested this before and I think it would be easier to simply add a rule: Only robbers are allowed to kill and loot players inside dungeons. Additionally add restrictions to robber characters so that you can't have an alt in any religion.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

No, this is not a game where you run with pvp tag on and start killing other people. There is always and always should be RP reason behind killing someone and you are murderer, if you do it for no reason.
Cruxis Bane

Post by Cruxis Bane »

Just make dungeons nonpvp areas and add incentive to hunt on mainland so that robbers will still be able to find people besides merchants.
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Cruxis Bane wrote:Just make dungeons nonpvp areas and add incentive to hunt on mainland so that robbers will still be able to find people besides merchants.
I think this would be the cleaner idea of "opting out of PvP", we do need to give options to players who want characters to be PvP free. But of course there should always be a way robbers can find them, but let's be honest...religion/guilds are now robbers anyway. You're kidding yourself and spinning it in the way you want if you say otherwise.
632-140-419
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well, would this make it so you could hunt risk-free and use the resources for PvP? Run with pvpoff in dungeons and pvpon for town attacks etc.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Mike wrote:Well, would this make it so you could hunt risk-free and use the resources for PvP? Run with pvpoff in dungeons and pvpon for town attacks etc.
If implemented to solve this they could do a, one time only choice thing... or maybe once a month?
But yeah, that could be a HUGE problem
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kat Asherstone wrote:
Mike wrote:Well, would this make it so you could hunt risk-free and use the resources for PvP? Run with pvpoff in dungeons and pvpon for town attacks etc.
If implemented to solve this they could do a, one time only choice thing... or maybe once a month?
I feel like the solution to a lot of this could be a better ceasefire system. If say a religion doesn't want to PvP their enemies anymore they could call a surrender under some reasonable conditions. Effectively shutting down PvP for a month or so between the sides, with the victor gaining something. The party offering surrender would have time to build up and recover, the party gaining victory would feel rewarded.

If we're talking about random blues getting ganked and drylooted, something separate should be done about that if necessary. Robbing, ultimately, seems to be a love/hate thing of this shard. Even players who never PvP seem to favor it, maybe it's no fun getting rich without risk.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

Kat Asherstone wrote:
Divide the shard into three otherwise identical facets, but with different standards...
1. RP & regulated PvP facet, traditional Pangaea
2. Lorendia style RP facet with no specific PvP rules (I liked it a lot).
3. The Russian PK Facet! It'll also gain us players and votes!

You could choose a facet for your each character only once and the worlds would be separated from each other! Can't switch facets.

If some player can't handle the first one, ban the player from it. If the player can't handle the second one either, leave the player only one option; the Russian PK facet :D
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Mike wrote:
Kat Asherstone wrote:
I feel like the solution to a lot of this could be a better ceasefire system. If say a religion doesn't want to PvP their enemies anymore they could call a surrender under some reasonable conditions. Effectively shutting down PvP for a month or so between the sides, with the victor gaining something. The party offering surrender would have time to build up and recover, the party gaining victory would feel rewarded.

If we're talking about random blues getting ganked and drylooted, something separate should be done about that if necessary. Robbing, ultimately, seems to be a love/hate thing of this shard. Even players who never PvP seem to favor it, maybe it's no fun getting rich without risk.

I've always enjoyed the idea of Robbery on this shard, it's part of the world.
You risk your good stuff to get better stuff, PvP or PvM... I even disagree with the rule of "you gotta let them walk away from a monster" lols, yeah right... I'd just smash their face in and let that monster eat the body.
I don't think anyone can actually say they HATE robbing, they might hate losing their things... but that's part of Pangaea and UO in general.

I like that idea, I don't know about "surrender" though that implies that they gave up... no one gives up like that, especially on Pang, but perhaps a point system of sorts... each class within a religion is worth points, modified by piety... your religion gets X points... you win, and everyone on the winning side gets a bonus at which point the PvP is disengaged for a specific time.
I think that could help even with subverting the "meta-game"... you could even make it so that "most points" gets a special bonus or something, that way it gives a person more reason to be ON that character instead of on an alt sneaking around for info on the enemy.