New top title for negative virtue (grand finale)

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

What are your 2 favorite top negative virtue titles?

Wicked
39%
Vicious
39%
Evil
23%

Total votes: 93

Arden Darkfall

Re: New top title for negative virtue (grand finale)

Post by Arden Darkfall »

Cirius Do'Brim wrote:Lies, Evil is stupid. It's like having "Good" as the top title of positive virtue.
I agree. Evil is just dull, hardly worth of being obtained after Sinister or Malicious.

If we're reviewing the titles, we should get more titles and then review all from scratch, adding those where they are fit, not in last spot just because. Otherwise, the list will end up not being consistent.
Palma

Post by Palma »

Darth! xD
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

I heard the title Swedish is commonly used in a negative fashion to describe evil dicks and their alike. The Swedish Johnny Walac. Yes thank you.

Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Ares wrote:
Darian Darkmind wrote:Vote against Boris and go Evil!
Evil just sounds so final. Next time we expand the system where do we go? "More evil"? I have to think ahead :P
Isn't that what it was supposed to be: The last and most evil Negative Virtue title.

If we're looking for the final title, it's like you said, you simply cannot get more evil than evil.
Ricardus

Post by Ricardus »

Hum...how about Devilish ?
Ricardus

Post by Ricardus »

Johnny Walac wrote:I heard the title Swedish is commonly used in a negative fashion to describe evil dicks and their alike. The Swedish Johnny Walac. Yes thank you.

No, it sucks! =)
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I prefer Malevolent or even better, Nefarious I do not like any of the other titles proposed here, they all seem so cheap and unthought provoking word wise for a top spot in my opinion.

Evil and Wicked seem especially lackluster for a top spot. Vicious is not far behind in my book though either. Of the three given, I guess Vicious, but I think you could do better then those three words altogether anyways.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

malevolent seems good enough actually.
i don't like vicious tbh, wicked is better imo. but hey, i'm not a native speaker, so perhaps you guys should decide?even if we know some of those words or can even look up in the dictionary, we do not really know the exact feeling of what that word means, since it's not a part of our minds
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

The problem is none of the suggested is more evil than the current Dread. So if we're looking for number one spot, none fit.

The definition of Vicious as a word is by far not evil enough to take the number one spot. Neither is wicked. Out of Evil or the current Dread, I sadly must admit Dread is more evil.

Cyrus' suggestions of Malevolent sure is evil, but I don't see it topping Dread either. And if I'm not completely mistaken, isn't Malicious - which is pretty close - a title already?

I was actually thinking "Infernal" would fit as number one, but can we use Infernal to describe a person?
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Here is the deal, how do we want to view these titles, are they merely a degree of absolute good/evil reflected in the title or are they meant to be more of a fame/karma type deal? Personally I do not much care for the system as a whole, for an RP shard as we are, the system does not do a very good job reflecting either someones good or evil side since you can just toggle gain or losing of fame/karma(it isn't really a virtue in terms of Ultima in general so repeatedly in the past I refer to it as what it really is, a fame/karma type system). In other words your title does not reflect your actual actions in game since you can just as I stated toggle gaining or losing of points.

I ask this because when deciding on a new higher title and indeed even reconsidering the old titles, this needs to be clarified because titles such as dread do not necessarily denote evil tendencies, you could be dreadful because you are held in a respectful awe (which is an archaic definition but still pertinent, that's the wonderfully annoying thing about English) because you are a fierce negotiator or unfaltering in your beliefs, it does not necessarily mean evil. Where as Wicked or Infernal are clear titles given to the most evil of people (one thinks of perhaps Adolf Hitler, well I do at least). The dastardly title is quite the peculiar title as it can be conceived as perhaps more of a cowardly person while at the same time could just mean sneaky. While some of these titles do not place the holder of said titles in an evil light, others do, I am certain the positive titles are similarly wacky as well. Ultimately, I think the first thing that really should be done, if nothing else, is to set down what these negative and positive virtues are supposed to denote, pure good/evil or something altogether different.

Quite honestly, since for the most part people are gaining these titles from hunting anyways, I would stray away from titles that shine your character in a completely evil/good light as since I pointed out, they are not necessarily evocative of your characters perceived acts.
Darian Darkmind wrote:Cyrus' suggestions of Malevolent sure is evil, but I don't see it topping Dread either. And if I'm not completely mistaken, isn't Malicious - which is pretty close - a title already?
You're right, I don't much care for the titles anyways so I didn't pay much attention to the titles before the final title suggestions, I used the word dinosaur(Thesaurus) to look for better sounding titles that were similar in definition to the ones suggested by Cirius.

While I like the word nefarious it also evokes images of extreme wickedness or villainy. If at the end of the day, these titles are to set an air of vilification or eulogization of a person, then titles such as Nefarious or Dread or Maleficent is okay.

Sorry wall of text I know, but I like words lol and this topic has taken a special place in my heart since we are discussing words, sorry Cirius didn't mean to hijack your thread.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman