To boost playerbase; a NON-RP facet!

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

What do you think?

YES. Good idea! Alternate facet, please.
42%
NO. I don't want it. Russian PK shard players don't deserve Pangaea.
58%

Total votes: 31

Maximilian Lhoth

To boost playerbase; a NON-RP facet!

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

The word "RP shard" makes people run away.

Open another facet for players who are scared of the word RP, so they can play there without RP and their existence would bring 1) attention and high vote rankings with various Top Freeshard Sites 2) impressive playerbase to attract people 3) lots of donations to make the server even more awesome.

People who later find out the RP facet is awesome, the PvP and PvM systems are awesome will end up reading the RP forums too and eventually join the pseudo-roleplayers and maybe develop to true roleplayers or even hardcore roleplayers. You could create a character on either facet, the non-RP facet or the RP facet. The character would be forever doomed to stay on the facet it chose in the beginning, of course.

Gamemasters would have no worries about whines from the non-RP facet players, because their interference would not simply be required since everything goes. The attack can't be illegal!

THIS MUST BE DONE.

We are not hardcore RP or primarily RP. We are a PvP and PvM shard with RP nyance, meaning, you must at least make it look like RP to keep the true medieval fantasy adventure feel. Game mechanically our PvP and PvM system, in my opinion, easily beats the PvP/PvM systems of the popular PvP shards.

So, game mechanically we have an awesome shard.

In our advertisements we should emphasize that we are definitely not hardcore RP. We have hardcore roleplayers too, and they fit in.

PERSONALLY I find religion centeredness the most troublesome thing on Pangaea, and things like the "antidivine path" I planned in my another quite recent forum thread should help compensate this; allow indie PvP other than robbing or robbing-in-disguise.

We can be a PvP shard, and for many we primarily are. Of course PvP/RP. Not PvP for the sake of PvP, but PvP because you have an agenda you fight for. The realistic medieval fantasy world suits my personal tastes better.

And because I think my idea is so awesome, I made a finnish translation, as I'm capable of it and quite many players are finnish:

"RP-shardista" puhuminen saa UO:n pelaajat pelkäämään Pangaeaa.

Tarvitaan toinen facetti pelaajille, jotka eivät ole RP:stä kiinnostuneita. Siellä he voivat pelata vapaasti ilman RP:tä ja heidän läsnäolonsa toisi 1) huomiota ja enemmän ääniä Top Freeshards-saiteilla 2) suuri playerbase, joka vetäisi vieläpä lisää porukkaa 3) siten enemmän rahalahjoituksia, joilla shardista voitaisiin tehdä vieläkin parempi!

Jotkut hoksaisivat, että RP-facetti onkin mahtava, koska PvP- ja PvM-systeemit Pangaealla ovat mahtavat verrattuna moniin paljon suositumpiin shardeihin. Lopulta nämäkin pelaajat päätyisivät lukemaan RP-forumeita ja opeteltuaan pelimekaniikan ensin "vapaalla" facetilla saattaisivat hyvinkin kiinnostua siirtymään RP-facetille, kehittyen kelpo roolipelaajiksi. Tämä toisi siis varsinaiselle Pangaealle eli siis tulevalle RP-facetille, jota me kaikki vanhat pelaajat rakastamme, lisää roolipelaajia. Osasta voisi kehittyä varsin hyviäkin sellaisia, kun pääsisivät roolipelaamisen makuun. Hahmo luotaisiin jommallekummalle facetille, ja et voisi siirtyä facetilta toiselle hahmollasi. Facetit olisivat muuten identtiset, paitsi sääntöjen osalta.

Gamemasterien ei tarvitsisi huolehtia valituksista, koska vapaalla facetilla yksinkertaisesti ei ole "illegal killejä" tai "illegal robberyitä" tai "asshole ruleja".
Last edited by Maximilian Lhoth on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilian Lhoth

Re: To boost playerbase; a NON-RP facet!

If you didn't understand something about my idea, feel free to ask either here or privately. No question is dumb enough, I'd be happy to explain everything.
Attachments
simple, innit?
simple, innit?
Untitled 1.png (40.08 KiB) Viewed 9536 times
Palma

Post by Palma »

I agree with absolutely everything you just said.

I see a lot of Companies these days, doing events where they invite a lot of people, and then they talk about something interesting that ain't what that Company is selling or what not. This generates the interest for participating, and then meanwhile you get to know what that Company is all about.

I find that system very interesting and brings a lot of results.

I believe this might work. If we see it's causing more fuss than new members, we can always stop. No harm in trying.

I myself would dedicate my time in that new facet to talk to those guys, tell them about Pang, trying to get them to join our guilds and so on, etc. bit by bit luring them to the RP
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

hmm..what if this backfired and lead pangaea into a pvp shard?
it would be extremely good to get new players, of course, and i'm willing to take the risk, but i wonder if those players would be interested into joining the rp side after they're here.
i'll let the gm's give their opinions
Maximilian Lhoth

Glarundis wrote:hmm..what if this backfired and lead pangaea into a pvp shard?
it would be extremely good to get new players, of course, and i'm willing to take the risk, but i wonder if those players would be interested into joining the rp side after they're here.
i'll let the gm's give their opinions
some would be, some would be not. them playing PK facet causes pangaea to become well known, anyway. It also means more people hear of the RP facet. When they join the PK facet, they will become aware of the RP facet too. so what if they never move on to RP facet? Let them enjoy, bring us votes, bring us donations and bring us fame. Play and let play!

Instead of RP shard with no one, let's turn Pangaea into TWO shards (technically facets) which share the game mechanics, but have different rules for players. Likely very few of the old pangers would start a character on the PK facet, or if they did, it's less PvP on Pangaea for the PvP-haters.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

If we made another realm, who would play there? You? Few else?

I understand what you're aiming for, how it would hopefully bring more players etc, but in worst case scenario we lose some players from the RP realm which means even smaller playerbase for those who decide to stay. This can lead to the rest going even more inactive completely killing off the RP realm. Alternatively no one, or only a very few of the old players join the PvP realm which leads to it never gaining a playerbase. The fact is when a new Russian PKer decides to give it a try and he sees there's no one online, he logs off as quickly as he joined. If we had 200+ eager PKers ready to jump aboard the moment such realm is published, it might work, but currently I don't see this one working out. No one wants to be the first, playing all alone, hoping for more players.

Most of the succesful shards and worlds created are based upon some other shard which already has a playerbase. The shards created from the scratch without a playerbase to begin with, often die very quickly, because no one cares to join and play alone. Our playerbase is small and I don't see how dividing it is a good thing.

It might work, but it might backfire big time.
Dante

Post by Dante »

I vote note for the same reasons as Dawn, too much work and time with little or any real justification as we lack the playerbase.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Max, nobody is keeping you from moving to BeePK actually. :roll:
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

I'm reminded by that old movie quote with Kevin Costner...

"If you build it, he will...not come because the game is too damn old, stop being retarded". - Field of Dreams
632-140-419