How to minimize bad player experience?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

How to minimize bad player experience?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm

Add a new rule to shard, saying that areas around britain and despise are protected and no PvP can occur within
4%
Add a new type of rogue guard that stays hidden and doesn't attack npcs, only players that attacked other players within a 5-10 minute period
4%
Only allow PvP in Guild/Religion scenario
19%
Make newbie character untargeteable and unable to attack other players until they get to X stats or Y gameplay time (although, we'll create a way to allow sparing)
32%
Do not make any change
40%

Total votes: 47

Richard Mota

Re: How to minimize bad player experience?

Post by Richard Mota »

Bipina Huntley wrote:Richard, dont take it to bad, but i simply cannot read all that changes you want to make. Everytime when i want to check forum i am affraid that you will make new topic. Its like avalanche of whining.
I came only to one conclusion here, and i am more than sure, that many ppl will agree with me.
Maybe that shard isnt good for you anymore? There was always sth you didnt agree with, and now there is tons of things like that it seems. You want to change to much, while rest of shard agree with or atleast deal with.
Whole shard is waiting on religions to start, i think it will be the time when we will get way higher online count.
I agree with Demian that pvp brings most of activity, even if i wont pvp and never did. Pangaea must have pvp i dont like it but if it will be non pvp shard we will loose about 60% of players (if not more). and where will be the whole fun if you wont have anyone to play with?

Seems that you are looking for completly different shard than pangaea, you want everything ready for you and easy to get, well im playing here only 12 years, so not sure if i know much about that shard, but imo it never was easy and it never should. Ppl would be bored to quick if they would have everything after a month or two.

Sorry for offtopic.
funny you should take time to mention the amount of posts i have when you look at our post count along with others posting here. then ive been playing here just as long if not slightly longer so spare me on the idk what pang was about speech. most of the changes i mentioned were working at one time; like when we had reagent seeds and the druid class was made. the cloth thing was an existing method in the past which was a good idea someone shouldnt have removed. rare reagent vendors have always been pretty easy to get at until the closure of malas.
edit the idle kick script didnt exist and was the only time i seen the shard above 50 players. tinkering obs pieces from glass have always been an option and should be even though it takes more time to mine the sand the obs shard.
then i wouldnt try to compare online spent working for things either. still have problems getting some things or people always trying to take them one of the 2. never can just get online and enjoy a good hunt and some rp anymore. everyone all about pvp/looting/player abuse and you cant have successful numbers like that. trust me pavlina said she was never coming back along with many others i know.

sorry to be so off topic but replying to her off topic.
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

Mike wrote:Crystal Meth is a hell of a drug.
yes it is and you should leave it alone.
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

Bestia Domare wrote:How to minimize bad player experience?
be kinder to each other :D
amen but things have never been that way here for me or many other americans.
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

I am Canadian, and from what I observed and concluded nothing has anything to do with whether you are American, European, Asian, North Polian, or whatever. A lot of people are listing their honest opinions, and you simply CANNOT receive. Nothing "American" is being under attack here, for as far as I can see.
So are you claiming that your attitude towards

(1) fitting into our Pangaea group,
(2) respecting other's opinion, and
(3) misunderstanding people's non-ill will behind most of the posts replying to your original ideas,

which are being attacked, and are indeed "American" ??? Wow, I would be greatly offended if I were an American, because no no I would not want the rest of the world to think all American were like this : self-pitying, self-concerned, and greed-driven. Bipina is one of the most compassionate souls I have seen in my ENTIRE Pangaea time, and if a kind person can seem bit unkind to you, then seriously .... you got some problem you need to fix.

And no, I am not going off topic, because "How to minimize bad forum experience" is just the same as minimizing bad player experience....!
Bella Pious, The Vet
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

For me it's simple, I voice my concerns/disagreement/agreement with an idea, if the person posting the idea finds my tone or demeanor offensive which in most cases I am not and they want to get into petty squabbles because the "world is out to get them" I'll indulge to a degree but at some point you have to let the lemmings cast themselves off the cliff and hope they land safely and that the trip did some good.

As for the comments on nationality, despite our apologetic, despicable, sorry excuse for a president I'm proud to say I'm an American and have had little suffered for it on Pangaea and when I did I took it on the chin and moved on in game. On the forums I've cut some people down to size in a respectful manner but this rarely occurs and only when someone chooses to be disrespectful to myself or others I am friendly with.

I question the removal of special reagent vendors being harmful as it boosts markets for those such as Bipina who decided to train an annoying skill such as lockpicking and in the end I don't believe that removing these vendors have drastically changed the market for alchemists, druids or necromancers.

Player activity - First definition time, first definition from the Oxford English Dictionary:
Activity
1. The condition in which things are happening or being done:

Removing the idle duration for being logged out does not increase activity, idleness is not the same as being active and it does not help the overall appearance of the shard if a new player logs in and sees 29 players online with 20 of those being idle in Britain or else where. As for why the player count is down:
A. ) Nearing a 20 year old game
B. ) Most "newcomers" to Ultima Online if there are any will more than likely be drawn to the official shards or one that is not under "testing" phase as Pangaea is currently in.
C. ) the majority of players who have come and gone from Ultima Online are an aging population that have either found newer games that interest them more or have found something outside of gaming which takes up more of their time such as family and/or significant other.

I agree with Bipina on this as I've pointed out in another thread that Pangaea may not be what you're looking for in a shard anymore and that it might just be time to look elsewhere. Keep in mind Pangaea is a fairly old shard and despite all the fond memories of how this or that used to work, things are adjusted because they didn't work out quite as nicely as the staff intended. There's been a lot of what id consider good changes in the past as well as some horrendous ones neither of which ill go into but players need to come to the realization that sometimes things need to be adjusted or removed completely for balance issues as well as other issues and some of those changes aren't going to be well liked but for the overall good of the shared it just has to happen.

I understand the frustration coming back to a game that was filled with nothing but nostalgia and finding something completely unrecognizable from what you remembered but many of the "great" things that have been changed were made more or less to balance out other aspects of Pangaea. Granted perhaps things could have been changed differently in a less obtrusive manner but it's the cross we bear as players with hindsight. If you're looking to get things changed my only advice is to put together a well constructed idea and post it on the forums asking for essentially what were failed systems as the staff saw them to be returned unchanged will not win over many people, staff included to your cause.

I'd even lend a hand if you want to spit ball ideas around.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Ert
Counselor

Post by Ert »

This thread has spiralled out of control into the bermuda triangle. Jeez.