How to minimize bad player experience?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

How to minimize bad player experience?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm

Add a new rule to shard, saying that areas around britain and despise are protected and no PvP can occur within
4%
Add a new type of rogue guard that stays hidden and doesn't attack npcs, only players that attacked other players within a 5-10 minute period
4%
Only allow PvP in Guild/Religion scenario
19%
Make newbie character untargeteable and unable to attack other players until they get to X stats or Y gameplay time (although, we'll create a way to allow sparing)
32%
Do not make any change
40%

Total votes: 47

blckfire
Scripter

Re: How to minimize bad player experience?

Post by blckfire »

Qual-Kehji wrote:But.... the robberies were out of hand. Mind you there was some respectable robbers out there that I welcomed and didn't mind so much. It got to the point however nobody could leave town. Even in the most basic of gears and having next to nothing to their name. Being base class even or just reaching out of it, obviously you were no match ever. When this started happening and I myself was only logging in to farm the fields to get more lizard bone armor or lizard hide armor or what not and that's basically all I was doing instead of training my characters or hunting. The player base dwindled. People left because it was too much.
This is exactly what we want to avoid.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

There are a few truths that need to be addressed here, first when people come to play on Pangaea, are we telling them that it is a sandbox world with full loot? Are we telling them that it is an RP server with competitive PvP? Are we telling them this is a game where the players decide the politics and power structures? Are we telling them that they play at their own risk of losing their sanity by reading 9 pages of dialogue lol?

All of these points need to be stressed to the player beforehand and if they're not reading then that's on them. If ya'll make the world player determined, the gamers will come. Ego is a powerful motivator for those wishing to make a mark.

In conclusion, ya'll need to chill out and play the game for fun lol! Stop complicating the topic, it's a game after all, which is meant to be played with others and with a purpose of having fun.
Percy

Post by Percy »

I honestly don't see the point in even worrying about how to protect new chars until we actually start
rt giving this game some PR and attracting new players.
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Percy wrote:I honestly don't see the point in even worrying about how to protect new chars until we actually start
rt giving this game some PR and attracting new players.
I agree with this. I think the focus should be put on getting the religion system back in place in whatever form first and foremost (which I guess is the same thing, first and foremost). This will do two things, assuming the religion system reincarnation isn't ripped out of the distro but a redesign of sigismund's religion package it will offer new players something different from other shards and also make a lot of the disgruntled priests remotely happy assuming the tomes make up for their skill drops.

Not sure why we're worried about such an insignificant problem while we still have one of the biggest draws to this shard still not in place. i say insignificant as someone else pointed out, most people who are going to play on Pangaea have played Ultima Online in some form or another, whether it be on the official OSI shards or another free shard thus knowing the shortcomings and benefits that come along with it.

I have to agree with those who are afraid the game will become to pacified by even more rules against pvp. The dangers should be real, if the concern is that pvp will get too out of hand we ought to put in place a system of governance and not tie it to the religion system at all so that any may participate instead of creating more no pvp zones. If that is what people want we could use map0 for a free pvp map and map1 which is identical in terms of land masses as a pvp anywhere zone, this is a comment I am not seriously making but the question I pose is, if you make Brit and a large swath of territory between despise and Brit pvp free, when does it end, I mean new haven as janky and unlikable a city as it is was meant to be a newbie town at least that is what was told to me, should not that then also be pvp free?

I don't like the idea for changing anything but as mentioned before if you are going to do anything, have the guards patrolling areas but nothing more than that as it'll give just enough protection to players but not completely quash the pvp aspect of the game.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Percy

Post by Percy »

On another note, we've always been fine with robberies/murderers when we had religions and built up guilds etc. It's made some of us rage-quit for a week or so but we've always came back and we've always enjoyed ourselves.

Once we get religions back (or something more comprehensive than a guild), we should work on getting brand new players to the shard, then we should worry about protecting them from reviewing how they act upon such events. What you have to remember is that for the vast majority of us, we're trying to produce new rules and regulations based on our own experiences that happened to us many many years ago, and unfortunately those memories can be distorted over such a long period of time. We have no new or relevant information on what actions to take to protect the new, because there are no new.

Regarding the whole entirety of the subject of minimizing bad player experiences, provide a .report system in-game that sends a message to any available staff (including counselors) where the reporter can provide any information necessary to place a report on said player. Then the report can be taken to the counselors forum and discussions can begin on whether the player should be punished and how they can be punished and wait for approval of a GM/Admin.

I think it's about time counselors had more authority and responsibility than they currently do. We're basically here to help with questions regarding the game and such, and the only questions being asked are on the forums.

I have my own ideas on how to make counselors responsible for more and ideas on how to make that happen but that can be discussed another day.
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

after watching jonnys video and having felt his the player imbalance not to mention lag many players get here including myself. i would say adding cheap item insurance making it so people can loot. then you know those out pvp for rping like they claim are doing just that because there is nothing else they can do. i cant vote but this would be a very good idea. no more robberies? 2 bad heres a free chance to make your char blue. no more players abusing other players... a religion that was more pvm based instead of pvp would be nice as well.
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

blckfire wrote:
Qual-Kehji wrote:But.... the robberies were out of hand. Mind you there was some respectable robbers out there that I welcomed and didn't mind so much. It got to the point however nobody could leave town. Even in the most basic of gears and having next to nothing to their name. Being base class even or just reaching out of it, obviously you were no match ever. When this started happening and I myself was only logging in to farm the fields to get more lizard bone armor or lizard hide armor or what not and that's basically all I was doing instead of training my characters or hunting. The player base dwindled. People left because it was too much.
This is exactly what we want to avoid.
player / good imbalances is what creates this. when weapons and armor are hard to find like now, or the jewels/obstidian shortage that can occur make it even worse. this has been a huge problem since about the time t2a disappeared and many of the materials with it.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

It is weird how robberies are somehow that big of a trouble to deal with, there are many ways to handle them instead of just "not logging in" or "farming fields and getting lizard bone armors". To be honest I've never had a problem with robberies after I actually learned how to play on pangaea properly. This so called "bad player experience" should not be a thing atleast on pang.

So all in all it comes to learning from those who know their shit instead of crying about the "unfair gameplay". What comes to "gear" balance and whatnot, I can quite confidently said that with good players you can manage anything even with lesser gear. Getting full auro's and expensive stuff is just maxing your characters effectiveness and capabilities. Resources are not a problem either it is all in the knowledge in the end.

In my opinion player actions cannot count as bad gameplay experience.

Bad gameplay can happen if staff interference is creating imbalances between classes and religions and whatnot, but as far as I know all except priest, knight, monk and ranger are well balanced while religions are not in the play. After religions come and if classes mentioned don't get over buffed, the gameplay should stay good as it is now.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Why are we necroing old threads :-D.

I said my peace on this subject but would point out item insurance is a terrible idea, if that's something you want there's tons of shards free and official pay shards that have this.I lag fairly bad and never pvp and wouldn't even if I ran smooth but removing robberies is a sure fire way to make an old game, stale.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:Why are we necroing old threads :-D.

I said my peace on this subject but would point out item insurance is a terrible idea, if that's something you want there's tons of shards free and official pay shards that have this.I lag fairly bad and never pvp and wouldn't even if I ran smooth but removing robberies is a sure fire way to make an old game, stale.
if you done left you comment and thoughts here move along and stop trying to flame someone. everyone should have the opportunity to play here despite what other players think. who are you to tell me that im not welcome here and that i should leave my heightened chars to go play somewhere else? see this childish mentality of supporting player related abuse is whats hampered this shard time and time again to where people dont login until there is a new admin. i personally think that should you wish to login and abuse players you do it somewhere else and quit ruining pang.

then ivan youre wrong again time and time again. ive hard it where ive run around and been looted of my iron armor and everything on me. then to find it in the trash? at one point admin had to make a rule that said dont loot it if you dont plan to keep it. then you sit and act like there isnt a problem. LOL wrong wrong wrong. funny how so many other people can spot the problem but youre totally oblivious to it.

as i said it doesnt take looting to be able to pvp and rp.