How to minimize bad player experience?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

How to minimize bad player experience?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm

Add a new rule to shard, saying that areas around britain and despise are protected and no PvP can occur within
4%
Add a new type of rogue guard that stays hidden and doesn't attack npcs, only players that attacked other players within a 5-10 minute period
4%
Only allow PvP in Guild/Religion scenario
19%
Make newbie character untargeteable and unable to attack other players until they get to X stats or Y gameplay time (although, we'll create a way to allow sparing)
32%
Do not make any change
40%

Total votes: 47

Quintoz

Re: How to minimize bad player experience?

Post by Quintoz »

Bella Pious wrote:No. I know men who do not want PvP. Those are more rare I agree because they have more heart and bit higher intelligent in my opinion as a female.

Add: so keep your competition to yourselves and Leave the rest of ys along. I think that is the point of the poll?

And yes, the PvP style has grown into Troll-plays where it really bring no fun to anyone outside the Troll wars.
There's a term for those men http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cuck

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

I really could not care less. I know when a man is talking with his brain, his heart, or his dick. Here is what we give our suggestions. And in the years dicks voice have been loud. I was, to be honest, surprised the staff brought up the thought for the "minority" of us who could only watch Pang became what it is today. I truely was. So I will push it a little harder for those who dont dare to speak up. The choice belong to the staff of course and even if nothing changes we would survive as we have been. Otherwise I would have chosen to be silent because I could not make myself care for these wars.

The Pangaea is what it is today because the the loud ones pushed forward while the quiet ones chose to withdraw. This is a new beginning. I'd rather see it set right to begin with and maybe soften the reign later.
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

Just because you swedes like pvp, doenst mean the shard revolves around it. PvP is still probably my least favorite thing. This game is much deeper than that.
Raegen Keenarrow

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

Pangaea was never just about the PvP. It may be to some of you people, but not to everyone. Stop stating it as a PvP server. If you want true PvP then it's called Russian PK servers. Not in all my years playing since the beginning of this server have I ever cared for PvP nor have I been forced into it quite as heavily as of recent years. It's not what Pangaea should be about, it's only what some of you want it to be about. I care for my character, I care for my RP, I care for the community and the server as a whole. I just don't care to get involved in all the heavy PvP that goes on. I'll even craft for people I might not like that much outside of the game because it's my character's personality, not my own.

What is stopping this PvP community from fighting each other and leaving those who do not wish to partake in any form of it? A serial killer doesn't just kill every random person they come by. They pick their targets. Seriously if there's a problem with that, then you's are not in it just for the PvP. You's just want to have more control and force everyone into your world. Why must you's try so hard to enforce all of us into this PvP-tasy. The rules have always been a changing occurance on Pangaea. So when it comes to if the rules changed once again it's not "Pang bro" attitude, it in fact would still remain Pangaea. However, "It's Pang Bro" never used to exist, that's not Pangaea at all.

What happens when Pangaea becomes a heavy PvP oriented server that forces me into their world, I quit. I won't put up with the mentalities bullshit. I and many of us do not have a blacksmith, bowyer, alchemist, tailor, cooks and what not at our disposal and honestly that should stop. It's gotten way out of hand with all the muling and meta that was going around. What ever happened to caring for all those who play on this server? What ever happened to showing respect to everyone, not just your circle? Remember this when the players who do not wish to partake in PvP quit playing again. I'll always leave when I am only logging on just to harvest a field, kill a ratmen or lizard just to re-gear the stuff I just got robbed of on a daily basis.

I am in 100% agreeance with everything Bella has said so far in this thread.

I still vote option #3. Guilds/Religions only. PvP should only be for those who want to partake in it. If you're abusing the system (like some PvP players do) then you should be penalized. Such as if you're standing within the borders of a safe zone taunting your oppressor. Open game to kill. Screen shots and send to GM's as usual, but we as a community shouldn't need to always involve the GM's. We should know when we've wronged or been wronged or not. Or instead of killing, just leave. You're not obligated to stay there taking insults from said player. It's like a /ignore feature.
Last edited by Raegen Keenarrow on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Seems like the term Sandbox doesn't ring a bell for anyone, it should not have rules only mechanics (sorry for stealing this).

Pang has rules to enforce RP and to limit the things you can do which are against the RP aspect of the shard, so imo its up to players to create the world and its internal laws. Even if you are only PVM players lets say, you can still create a guild or group that fends for themselves (ie recruit people who want to pvp as protection and provide gear for them). If you cant or dont want to fight it just run away from it, its actualy fairly easy to get away from pvp.
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

Qual-Kehji wrote:Pangaea was never just about the PvP. It may be to some of you people, but not to everyone. Stop stating it as a PvP server. If you want true PvP then it's called Russian PK servers. Not in all my years playing since the beginning of this server have I ever cared for PvP nor have I been forced into it quite as heavily as of recent years. It's not what Pangaea should be about, it's only what some of you want it to be about. I care for my character, I care for my RP, I care for the community and the server as a whole. I just don't care to get involved in all the heavy PvP that goes on. I'll even craft for people I might not like that much outside of the game because it's my character's personality, not my own.
yes and no, everything away from pvp is heavily restriced in ultima, pvm is restricted to same 5 or 10 or whatever dungeons we have with same mobs every time, and merchants, well sadly, but merchants are forgoten thing on pang, so can't blame people that they are pvp focused
Raegen Keenarrow

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

Oh I'm not blaming anyone for being PvP focused. Boredom shouldn't be a justifiable excuse to enforce PvP upon everyone though. Which is essentially what you are getting at. That's why I can't fathom why people who enjoy PvP so much can't just be happy playing with themselves and leaving us who do not wish to partake in any of it alone. That's why games these days have both PvE & PvP servers. To satisfy everyone. You can't do that in a game as old as this one however unless major mechanics and attitudes can be changed entirely. Some people might get bored hunting where others don't, like myself. Some people, like myself completely hate PvP, others don't. Those of us who do not like to partake in PvP are not up here trying to enforce rules against everyone else who just wants to PvP quite as much as those who enjoy PvP are always trying to change the rules. It's been going on for years. Some sat quietly not knowing what to say or knowing what would happen to them if they spoke up. For the meta on this server was unreal. It was no longer Pangaea.

Some of us haven't even seen inside most of these dungeons. I've only seen inside Khaldun twice and that was with The Wolf Pack. That's the only "new" and yet old dungeon that I've had the chance to be inside. Shame, Covetous and Despise are my dungeons. I can't seem to progress characters further than that it appears because I haven't been lucky enough to amass fortunes like so many of you and like I said in my previous post, not all of us have those merchants at our disposal to work deals or get free stuff with. Not to mention I don't like to sit in a house with a macro going all day. It became a forced event though when people couldn't even leave towns for fear of being robbed on a daily basis. I know that's not how things are currently, but the storms already brewing and it'll come again.

As for merchants being a forgotten thing on Pang. It's because so many players have a friend or an alt to make their own stuff. Not enough people believe in public business anymore. Everything is all done "privately". Even if you stop muling though, there's still the problem that people only do business with friends most of the time. Hell I have been wanting to get stuff from other merchants that my Bowyer needs. He's still in vendor purchased gear because noboody buys his products. So no income = no business from him.
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

Restricting PvP might be the worst possible decision since Alteran's Non-Dryloot era. Remember how that turned out for Alteran? No you don't because nobody played.
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

We are just trying to find a way to balance the PvP vs the non-PvP. Maybe more than one measure has to be taken to accomplish this.

I have several different views on this issue, since I've played Pangaea throughout several eras, some good, some bad...

Things I liked:

Active law, doing their job and literally making Britain Area from the fields to the x-roads and despise a safe place for newbies.

I also loved the fights between religions where both sides got to measure forces in 8v8 or more and everybody needed to coordinate to fend off attacks or to take over whatever objective they would have in mind.

Things I disliked:

Inactive Law, robbers running wild and ruining everybody else's game experience with poor RP and always with an answer if you would find a hole in their RP to try and fend them from killing/robbing you.

Robbers not even wanting to rob, their ultimate goal was to kill your character, even if you literally stripped off and handed over everything you had to them.

I mean, these are just examples on how PvP can be fruitful and enjoyable and when it's not. The thing is that if things have to be decided by GMs in the end, like, "Was this a correct kill?", "Was the RP reason valid?", plus the whine on forums from both parts... we will accumulate so much work that we won't be able to focus on creating better player experience.

Resuming, we can resolve this issue by finding one or several solutions to create better player experience to everybody and relieve some pressure from the GM's shoulders so that we can focus on other, more fruitful things.

Edit: We'll visit merchants along the road. Also, I remember quite well that the community becoming inactive was normally related to PvP events, that led to people to leave in masses because they were not enjoying it anymore.
Last edited by blckfire on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

Qual-Kehji wrote:
As for merchants being a forgotten thing on Pang. It's because so many players have a friend or an alt to make their own stuff. Not enough people believe in public business anymore. Everything is all done "privately". Even if you stop muling though, there's still the problem that people only do business with friends most of the time. Hell I have been wanting to get stuff from other merchants that my Bowyer needs. He's still in vendor purchased gear because noboody buys his products. So no income = no business from him.
its more related to small playerbase I think, everyone knows what chars everyone has, so instead of doing it long way and posting on forums, I want to buy this and that, They rather just shout in ts or icq