How to minimize bad player experience?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

How to minimize bad player experience?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm

Add a new rule to shard, saying that areas around britain and despise are protected and no PvP can occur within
4%
Add a new type of rogue guard that stays hidden and doesn't attack npcs, only players that attacked other players within a 5-10 minute period
4%
Only allow PvP in Guild/Religion scenario
19%
Make newbie character untargeteable and unable to attack other players until they get to X stats or Y gameplay time (although, we'll create a way to allow sparing)
32%
Do not make any change
40%

Total votes: 47

Cyrus Tegyr

Re: How to minimize bad player experience?

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I have reservations about making the area between despise and Britain a no pvp zone. Most people who have played Ultima on any shard recognize the dangers and benefits of pvp. I agree with Johnny on this one and if any of you do not know, I never willingly pvp, I try to be friends with everyone!

That being said, there is one system that is in place that I think would be just exceptional to get revamped as I believe it was just a pkg someone dropped in cause it "was a cool idea" and no one ever bothered to actually look to see how it worked. What am I speaking of? the Bounty Hunter system.

It has some serious issues one of which being that someone who has like 10 murder counts on their character only has a bounty of like 300 gold so it just is not worth going out on a bounty hunt. Somewhere I think i posted an idea about a revamped bounty hunter system but this could be used to curb murderers and robbers.

I say leave it as it is and if anything add the pkg that allows for patrolling npcs, it is out there on the POL forums somewhere as I recall. this way we could have patrolling guards along the trade routes (roads), they won't be hidden in the shadows, magically popping out when people are in danger so robbers still have a chance to get away and noobasites have a chance to run to safety.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

I voted for the 4th option, because PvP is a big part of the game. Imo it shouldn't affect those who've just joined the shard, since it's obvious they won't have anything worth looting or skills to join the fightning. Let them be safe for an X amount of account online time, which can be quite plenty, then let them become "pvp-mortals" as well. Besides, I doubt that the way the shard is currently, that anyone would hunt or kill clearly new players for sport. And the ratting issue makes me cringe, I didn't even know some people went that low.
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

It should not be a separation between players who just join and players who been here for long; the drawing line is player whose UO life is about PvP, and those who want no part in it. I am sick with people saying "This is how Pang is accept it or leave" and "PvP is what Pang is". The truth is it has caused more grief and trouble than good to Pang. We, people who want no part in PvP, have been forced to put up with the trouble and instead of seeing a better change, there are more whine and it gets worse. Dont tell me you want PvP because you care how much others would enjoy the game. It is a lie no matter how much sugar coating you put on it.

There are just too many Troll-players than Role-players and encouraging PvP has been the nest where these trolls grow. Let the trolls play with each other and leave us normal people alone, or kick the trolls out together for once!
Bella Pious, The Vet
Talerco Pious

Post by Talerco Pious »

Bella Pious wrote:It should not be a separation between players who just join and players who been here for long; the drawing line is player whose UO life is about PvP, and those who want no part in it. I am sick with people saying "This is how Pang is accept it or leave" and "PvP is what Pang is". The truth is it has caused more grief and trouble than good to Pang. We, people who want no part in PvP, have been forced to put up with the trouble and instead of seeing a better change, there are more whine and it gets worse. Dont tell me you want PvP because you care how much others would enjoy the game. It is a lie no matter how much sugar coating you put on it.

There are just too many Troll-players than Role-players and encouraging PvP has been the nest where these trolls grow. Let the trolls play with each other and leave us normal people alone, or kick the trolls out together for once!
It's pang bro. Changing rules will make this not pang bro.
I whine, therefore I am
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bella Pious wrote: There are just too many Troll-players than Role-players and encouraging PvP has been the nest where these trolls grow. Let the trolls play with each other and leave us normal people alone, or kick the trolls out together for once!
This is a nasty way of re-framing the argument by saying pvp-ers are in a minority. Actually the normal people are the pvp-ers and the minority are offered something here, but it's not good enough for the minority. Pang is about pvp.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

You are forgetting I am not your bro, Troll. Changing it would be a better Pang to many of us whose voice was not heard.

Leave big hunting areas PvP-able. If a PvP guild obtain control over a town they can choose to remove the rough guard and be PvP-able. I dont see problem with a newbie showing off good armour, as long as he does not use it in hunt and expect to be spared. Thats why i said it should not be newbie-based but a matter of choice.
Bella Pious, The Vet
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

And Mike, PvP becomes the majority because the staff have chosen to sacrifice the other aspect for it. It can become a minority too.
Bella Pious, The Vet
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bella Pious wrote:And Mike, PvP becomes the majority because the staff have chosen to sacrifice the other aspect for it. It can become a minority too.
No. The majority of people who play this game are men, and men are motivated by competition. Without an "other" to compete against there is no point in playing. The most meaningful competition is pvp.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

has this ever been a problem? i mean does people actualy rob new players even?

I remember my start, away from Darian who had tendency to plague me every time i was wandering around britain, even evil tekstoners, nox and what else was around back then used to leave me alone most of the time
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

No. I know men who do not want PvP. Those are more rare I agree because they have more heart and bit higher intelligent in my opinion as a female.

Add: so keep your competition to yourselves and Leave the rest of ys along. I think that is the point of the poll?

And yes, the PvP style has grown into Troll-plays where it really bring no fun to anyone outside the Troll wars.