Should we remove the idle kick script?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 17

Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

I have made the suggestion that we get rid of the script that kicks you for being inactive. I remember seraph adding it to try and limit the amount of idle connections for role playing purposes. However you see people sitting around macroing skills at a hard gain rate and not talking to people. Some people see this script as a defensive aid to keep a player and his things safe. However I feel its effecting the active player rate which could bring even more people back to the server; knowing many others are playing. When i brought it to several peoples attention they said i should make a poll about it? So here it is. Should we stop kicking players for being idle to improve shard numbers?
Robert Joplin

Re: Should we remove the idle kick script?

Post by Robert Joplin »

I still get the message quite often in short times like i can walk in other room smoke come back and in logged out.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

I think this is a necessary evil, although we can review the timeout time before we logout someone. Make it a bit longer it's the ideal I guess.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I believe we ought not do away with this, I do not see any benefit of players being able to be idle for hours on end (by idle I mean not macroing). I'm not convinced that having idle characters floating around will improve the appearance of the shard for new players, if anything we will see posts attacking people who leave their characters online idle much like we see with "too much player macroing" which will just embitter more people.

I understand the want to improve player count I really do but assuming this was the reasoning behind this poll I see it doing nothing for it. It'll anger new players who approach unresponsive idle players and if this is intended to increase interactions between veteran players and neophyte players, the best thing for this is to push the forums, this is where they can connect and get more and be more exposed as opposed to running around trying to talk to idle characters.

If this is to be changed I would suggest bumping the timer to 10 minutes before being kicked for idleness to mirror the macro check timer. 10 minutes should be more than enough time and let's be honest it's not like you're going to wait long to reconnect should you be booted.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Thoorin

Post by Thoorin »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:I believe we ought not do away with this, I do not see any benefit of players being able to be idle for hours on end (by idle I mean not macroing). I'm not convinced that having idle characters floating around will improve the appearance of the shard for new players, if anything we will see posts attacking people who leave their characters online idle much like we see with "too much player macroing" which will just embitter more people.

I understand the want to improve player count I really do but assuming this was the reasoning behind this poll I see it doing nothing for it. It'll anger new players who approach unresponsive idle players and if this is intended to increase interactions between veteran players and neophyte players, the best thing for this is to push the forums, this is where they can connect and get more and be more exposed as opposed to running around trying to talk to idle characters.

If this is to be changed I would suggest bumping the timer to 10 minutes before being kicked for idleness to mirror the macro check timer. 10 minutes should be more than enough time and let's be honest it's not like you're going to wait long to reconnect should you be booted.
Bipina Huntley

Post by Bipina Huntley »

Thoorin wrote:
Cyrus Tegyr wrote:I believe we ought not do away with this, I do not see any benefit of players being able to be idle for hours on end (by idle I mean not macroing). I'm not convinced that having idle characters floating around will improve the appearance of the shard for new players, if anything we will see posts attacking people who leave their characters online idle much like we see with "too much player macroing" which will just embitter more people.

well said.

i have never had problem with that tbh, it's not annoying in my eyes and should be kept.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:I understand the want to improve player count I really do but assuming this was the reasoning behind this poll I see it doing nothing for it.
I agree with this and it was expected that the numbers would drop after the end of last month.

A big part of our community has now got to the point where they play Pangaea occasionally, and that is OK.

When new content is released I'm sure our numbers will be back up.

Until then take the time to train your characters and be ready for the fight over the control of the world ;)
Richard Mota

Post by Richard Mota »

well im sorry you guys dont feel it will have an effect on the shard. however from experience i can tell you that it certainly does. the shard will average about 30 people online week days average without it and be up to around 50 people on the weekend. this is true even when players arent very active and have seen its effects first hand when it was added.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Richard Mota wrote:well im sorry you guys dont feel it will have an effect on the shard. however from experience i can tell you that it certainly does. the shard will average about 30 people online week days average without it and be up to around 50 people on the weekend. this is true even when players arent very active and have seen its effects first hand when it was added.
To be clear I know it'll have an effect on the shard, I just don't believe its going to be the great positive one you seem to know it would be.

Let's also clear something up, let's say we see online numbers jump to 50 online on the weekend. If the majority are idle that is not activity that is falsifying the numbers. Activity requires one thing, activity, and idleness does not equal activity. What it does do however, negligible though it may be is increase bandwidth to and from the server. The pol core function that regulates idle players was not put in place to protect players who go afk for long lengths at a time it is in place to regulate wasted bandwidth whether past or present staffers wish to acknowledge that or not, it was never intended to protect players.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman