Is Pangaea heading in a positive direction?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Is Pangaea heading in a positive direction?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 56

Quintoz

Re: Is Pangaea heading in a positive direction?

Post by Quintoz »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote:Seriously either grow a pair and step up or just don't comment at all, as stated your last post in this thread really reveals your enormous ignorance. I suspect you expected people to join in on your "fuck the current staff" post but you can count me out, you've done nothing to better the shard in its current state and somehow have some claim to be a fucking prick about things.
Since I quit playing I've tried to get a staff that can actually get shit done involved in the shard, more then I can say the current staff has done for the shard.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Tyrion wrote:
Tyrion wrote:To start, let's try recruiting some programmers on the POL forum. This is a dedicated community of POL programmers that may be willing to help or can at least be persuaded to assist with development projects.
Cyrus, would you mind terribly if we leveraged any of your connections to POL programmers, that could speak with blckfire?
I know of one person, I can give blckfire his icq but I won't promise anything. The issue with as I explained earlier in trying to recruit scripters is that most people who can at a level Pangaea currently needs are already working on their own shard. That being said, Pangaea runs into another issue, as is my experience, most scripters on other shards are of admin status and hold a quasi final vote on implementation of stuff and though I've not been a staff member here, I've been led to believe that this is not the case here.

If you think of scripting as an art form, most people who are artists do not like the interference involved in decision by council. While I understand the heritage Pangaea has, I think if you're going to recruit a complete outsider, the decision by council system the staff practises now will need to be tweaked. Also, recruiting from outside will more than likely bring up another issue, many scripters have adapted to later pol versions which would require Pangaea to go through an update, some of this is minor and can be done at a relative pace but there are some changes that have to be made else the shard spits out an error and will not run unless these errors are fixed and being that Pangaea was first a pol 094 shard, then a 095 shard and currently a 096 shard, there may be issues with deprecated commands that 095 and 096 would groan about but still run not running in 098 or 099 if past scripters did not bother fixing these during the update process(you really want to be running 099 right now). You're looking at a 3 version leap from 096 to 099 so you've got to take into account all the changes in all three versions from 097-099 so that'd be a big undertaking I think Pangaea would be better for it as it introduces newer possibilities and increased performance but this may be an issue, updating the pol core, if an outside resource was recruited.

I'm not saying all this to claim the impossible I'm just letting you and anyone else who cares, that it isn't just as easy as putting a help wanted sign on a door and expecting someone knowledgable enough to be the first or even tenth interested person to inquire about the position. It's worth a try and blckfire was active for a short time on the pol forums, I have not posted on them in nigh 12 years but I do read them from time to time to keep up with pol. But he or the current staff have to take the first step, so far it's been relative crickets, but if blckfire messages me regarding the one person I know who might be interested in lending a hand, I'll connect the two of them.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

Doing a timewarp with Boris & Co is a legit idea to create the active Pangaea we all wanna play, no doubt. The hard part will be to continue the activity with good upkeep otherwise it will just die. If Boris get the crew he wish to assemble (And I heard it is going well) I belive we will get alot of PvPers back atleast which will in turn lure the others.

I fully support the idea of a timewarp because I think this "new" Pangaea with Blckfire etc will die out even before it was born. (If it hasn't already? Poll Results)
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Demian

Post by Demian »

It would be nice if we could get Boris to run things, atleast until we have a proper alternative ready to go. Timewarp is the worst idea at this point though. Keep the current save or make a new itemwipe with the current save.

Not sure I'd be arsed to play atleast if we timewarp to a few years ago to an already ruined economy and make people lose their skills. In all honesty I don't even see any good reason for a timewarp either, except to cator to those who instead of playing the current version only chose to whine on forums, which is as far as it gets from a good reason.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Demian wrote:It would be nice if we could get Boris to run things, atleast until we have a proper alternative ready to go.
Stop thinking off Boris as some sort of placeholder or dooropener that you can have keep the population up and the shard alive that you can then use to leech players from when "Blackfail Pang" is ready to be playtested. If he comes back to run it, the forums, the website etc will belong to him and Blackfail Pang can go make their own shit.

Demian

Post by Demian »

Quintoz wrote: Stop thinking off Boris as some sort of placeholder or dooropener that you can have keep the population up and the shard alive that you can then use to leech players from when "Blackfail Pang" is ready to be playtested. If he comes back to run it, the forums, the website etc will belong to him and Blackfail Pang can go make their own shit.
If he doesn't have a scripter, that's what he sadly is. It's obvious blckfire is behind on schedule but he's still going to work on this when he has the time. And as we know, pang tends to go into hibernation every once in a while anyway so it's good to have someone committed working on the background if nothing else. Boris may get things rolling again for a while but if it's with a timewarp and no proper content creation, the shard will die again sooner or later. I'm guessing on the sooner.

Best result would be to get Boris working with the current staff, instead of having two separate parties working on the same thing and having the players choose only one. Seems quite selfish and lacking in vision to me, to throw out a capable staff just to give power to someone else for doing something that anyone can do (a timewarp). And if Boris has a scripter in his pocket, them helping out with blckfires workload would be the better, more sustainable option.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Demian wrote:
Quintoz wrote: Stop thinking off Boris as some sort of placeholder or dooropener that you can have keep the population up and the shard alive that you can then use to leech players from when "Blackfail Pang" is ready to be playtested. If he comes back to run it, the forums, the website etc will belong to him and Blackfail Pang can go make their own shit.
If he doesn't have a scripter, that's what he sadly is. It's obvious blckfire is behind on schedule but he's still going to work on this when he has the time. And as we know, pang tends to go into hibernation every once in a while anyway so it's good to have someone committed working on the background if nothing else. Boris may get things rolling again for a while but if it's with a timewarp and no proper content creation, the shard will die again sooner or later. I'm guessing on the sooner.

Best result would be to get Boris working with the current staff, instead of having two separate parties working on the same thing and having the players choose only one. Seems quite selfish and lacking in vision to me, to throw out a capable staff just to give power to someone else for doing something that anyone can do (a timewarp). And if Boris has a scripter in his pocket, them helping out with blckfires workload would be the better, more sustainable option.
Read his post son, he said he's not going to take over without a scripter. The reason why there would be 2 seperate parties is because the only person that belives in Blackfail Pang is Blckfire the rest of the staff left because they couldn't agree on working on the same thing. Understand this very simple thing : The shard dosen't need pol99, it dosen't need a new religion system it just needs to keep adding tools for players to create their own content.

Demian

Post by Demian »

Quintoz wrote: Read his post son, he said he's not going to take over without a scripter. The reason why there would be 2 seperate parties is because the only person that belives in Blackfail Pang is Blckfire the rest of the staff left because they couldn't agree on working on the same thing. Understand this very simple thing : The shard dosen't need pol99, it dosen't need a new religion system it just needs to keep adding tools for players to create their own content.
The rest aka. Boris? We had a capable staff here working with blckfire all this time. The only thing getting in the way is blckfires limited time, which he said he'd have more in the future with content hopefully delivered in September.

I agree with no need for a new religion system or a pol version, but any promised tools by a new staff would be a similar work in progress as the current one. It won't just magically appear as we put Boris in charge. Simply putting religions out there wouldn't necessarily bring people back either, if it's delivered with a crappy old save and everything that comes with it, like skill-loss. If I had to choose between that and waiting another 2-3 months, I'd atleast go for the latter.
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Demian wrote:
Quintoz wrote: Read his post son, he said he's not going to take over without a scripter. The reason why there would be 2 seperate parties is because the only person that belives in Blackfail Pang is Blckfire the rest of the staff left because they couldn't agree on working on the same thing. Understand this very simple thing : The shard dosen't need pol99, it dosen't need a new religion system it just needs to keep adding tools for players to create their own content.
The rest aka. Boris? We had a capable staff here working with blckfire all this time. The only thing getting in the way is blckfires limited time, which he said he'd have more in the future with content hopefully delivered in September.

I agree with no need for a new religion system or a pol version, but any promised tools by a new staff would be a similar work in progress as the current one. It won't just magically appear as we put Boris in charge. Simply putting religions out there wouldn't necessarily bring people back either, if it's delivered with a crappy old save and everything that comes with it, like skill-loss. If I had to choose between that and waiting another 2-3 months, I'd atleast go for the latter.
Boris, Monad and the scripter that Boris had lined up to help out. Argon capable, you mean the guy who was trying to ban people because he couldn't figure out how they were avoiding to hit the orcs while training parry, yea he's real capable.

You keep waiting, then it comes out you'll play for a few weeks - months and then realise that nobody is coming to pvp and you'll quit again.

Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Damn fun to read. Boris team/Blckfires team are like our bitches and their fans are making other side down. I demand trial by combat.