Bard songs

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should Bard songs be tweaked to prevent party members from being hurt?

Definitely, But with a different drawback (post your drawback)
8%
Yes, and I'm fine with your (Oden) plans.
56%
Sounds nice but just leave it.
36%
An ardent No, your idea sucks and screw you and your little dog too!
No votes

Total votes: 25

GM Oden

Re: Bard songs

Post by GM Oden »

Update on this topic.

I've almost completed the bard make over.

The Gump is done which contains tooltip info on each song including song mana, song type, song desc.

Transportation song only song not working yet as I need to squeeze in the new gump stuff for it.

Next dot command with three options:
.PlaySong <empty> or favored instrument - allow bard to setup his three favorite instrument types. This is to give the bard full control in game of what instrument to play for each song type before looking for a random instrument in their backpack.

.PlaySong <help> - A Gump appears describing the basics of this command and bard magic in general.

.PlaySong <Song Title> or <Song Number> - Will play the desired song. Right now, I've not decided which to use but if I can implement both I might allow either to give players their choice.

Bard casting greatly improved, movement is a bit more responsive, fairly instantaneous, this gives me a nice base to expand the other casting systems so it's a good thing.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Re: Bard songs

Post by GM Oden »

Updated Trello card linked in first post with three screen shots I've posted in different locations so the masses can see them.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, Transportation song is changing in two distinct ways:

You will now cast the song before selecting the mark spot or "recall" or group travel to location.

If you move squares equal to Musicianship / 20 while the travel gump is open, the travel song location gump WILL close automatically. This is to give the bard package a more built in feel but also to cut out the annoyance of the player moving than selecting an option only to be presented with "Your movements have interrupted your song." error message.

I'm hoping to bring this similar feel to other custom gumps so that many of our custom systems have that more built in organic feel. I'm hoping it finds acceptance as it was never intended for players to run around with different but specific gumps always open but we never had a way to kill gumps based on different criteria until 096 with a custom function and now 099 with a built in pol core function. I've put together two conditions for this one which I use for musicianship which is character x y movement greater than variance and another for character position based on characters position to object (object in this case could be npc or item.)
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill