Piety Vs. Skill

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should piety be replaced by a skill instead?

Yes, it's about time.
49%
No, it's always been like this and should remain.
51%

Total votes: 57

Atlantis

Re: Piety Vs. Skill

Post by Atlantis »

Ondoher wrote:In my opinion i feel the piety as a reward for those who work for the religion. I was the HP of Imperial for nearly 3 years and i took that 60 piety as a reward for my work. Even if this is a game, running a religion requires a certain amount of work and hours put in to it daily. All the planning and managing takes time.
You really have to speak for your self. Not saying at them moment that The actual 60 and 50 piety spots on Imperial ain't deserving it (they do), the fact is, everyone is working together to grow the religion, and I bet that many ain't making the Job that only a high piety can do because they can't. It is your choice to "rule alone" or to "rule as a group", in that case I favor equality and same piety for everyone.
Gurrnutt Venomblade

Post by Gurrnutt Venomblade »

Im against skill system, we just released religions not even a month ago and now we are asked if we want to change it ? Its going to require more macroing, more idle characters, which most of us delt with for 3 years already. The older players now returning will just leave again. Which would just make the server back to where we were 2 months ago. Now we are hitting numbers of 17-20 people online as of 2 months ago maybe we had 7 on at a time.

I dont know what the right answer is, but I believe asking us to macro more isnt the answer most of us are looking for.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Throwing my opinion here, even if everyone knows it already.

This change is necessary for complete balance between the classes, so that each class has their own purpose, specialty and advantages when compared to each other. I agree that it's quite sudden to start changing piety system now that the religions are finally back and people are finally able to play their characters again.

So what I'd recommend is that you create the skill then add it to the classes and allow piety to exist simultaneously, then after a few months change the religion system to use the skill instead of piety.

This way all the characters would be playable and everyone would get a chance to keep their character strength as it is.

EDIT: What comes to training the skill, there could be many alternatives that even could be added at later date, since it is related to religions perhaps leaving the option open for gaining the skill trough religious activity as well as from macroing could be valid.
EDIT2: I am not going into detail how strong this new skill is or what would it comparison in piety would be, because what I'd love to see is priest getting balanced as a class like any other. So perhaps this skill would be in strength comparable to 40-50 piety in the end or less than 40 piety who knows since that is how class balance works.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

So to be clear when I implemented these religions I clearly said it'd be temporary, I did it cause you all had waited long enough on dithering and wasted time, which sadly even stung me as I scripted a lot of new functionality that was not tested and some of which would need to be rewritten because information was not available because no one thought to document what the system would work and function like.

Second, you've months to wait for this as I said in an earlier post.

Third, I probably should have stood my ground and let you guys languish with your 10 piety and wait for timers, I think that was my biggest mistake, you all have forgotten how broken timers are when you literally have no power to become better because of some artificial bull crap system.

Fourth, staff involvement is ludicrous with religions, there's always something that needs to be tweaked and balanced or overseen or dealt with because religions are just a quagmire in their current state. This means other more older bits of the shard that really need a good look through don't and have not received it. If that is fine with everyone, staff having to micro and macro manage religions in every aspect, that's fine, it isn't with me, staff should have as little footprint in game as possible in terms of their game changing interactions with player's.

As for the HPs, I get it, it's a scary world to think you might be just like every other priest in terms of strength and effectiveness when it comes to rite casting but that's one of the other problems religions have. People are held back because they would rather RP than PvP, or just avoid pvp altogether or are despised by their HP and thus aren't nominated for higher piety or insert any other reason players may be denied piety.

Now to Ivan:
The one compromise I'd make is to start out existing religion classes with 65% in whatever skill I choose to use. That is I would hope be a good compromise to people losing piety. It's all in the name of balance and people would have less training involved.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

oden for president
291-697-526
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

Oden , just revoke everyones piety. Push everyone back to 10p and make the timers wait out. That will show people what type of hell this truely is.. 30p off the bat is just imo, just silly
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

I should have proposed the skill name as Piety and just said it'd be gainable and left it at that, maybe people would not have been so frightened at changing.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Demian

Post by Demian »

If pietytimers are the biggest issue we can see with the current system then go with Quintoz's idea on page 1.
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

Demian wrote:If pietytimers are the biggest issue we can see with the current system then go with Quintoz's idea on page 1.
You mean this?
Quintoz wrote:Piety over skill, piety power should be changed.

10 piety should be the same as 40 is currently and what you start at
20 piety should be the same as 50, earnable with effort
30 piety should be the same as 60, hp only.

hahah no... solves nothing. just makes it easier to get into the action if anything. There will -allways- be someone whining about "i want higher piety" for one reason or another.

Make it skill based so people can fuckin macro it up if they want. Give everyone a chance to be equally as powerful.
Wanna make it to the "old" 60p status? Heighten your priest and get a indy med cloth! 115 med = old 60p power.
Would make PVP a hellova lot more fun to see if people wanna risk indy cloth for a bit more power...
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
Demian

Post by Demian »

Emirien wrote:Make it skill based so people can fuckin macro it up if they want. Give everyone a chance to be equally as powerful.
Macroing is exactly the biggest issue I have with the skill based option. There are many other ways to go about having a system with equal chances which actually keep the process in actively playing the game - not macroing.