Titles revisited

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should we replace Ancient with Legendary?

Yes
53%
No
26%
Indifferent
21%

Total votes: 19

GM Oden

Titles revisited

Post by GM Oden »

So while I am looking at the titles file, because it correlates directly with the virtue system, my question is, should we change Ancient?

I personally despise the title "Ancient" and would rather move Legendary up to Ancient and replace the old legendary slot with Elder, So in short you would have from lowest to highest:

Grandmaster : 100
Elder : 103 - 104.9
Legendary : 105

To me this sounds better, Ancient just sounds....horrible.

I know these aren't big changes but while I am in the file I just wanted to get feedback and they are easy enough to change.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
GM Oden

Re: Titles revisited

Post by GM Oden »

OK.

It's settled, titles being changed. Going to prepare the titles file for a future upload this week along with a couple other updates.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

I agree with ancient being replaced with legendary, but in what way does elder sound better than ancient?..it bears the exact same problem, which is a conotation with how old something is, which should have no relation towards how good someone is at doing something
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Glarundis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am I agree with ancient being replaced with legendary, but in what way does elder sound better than ancient?..it bears the exact same problem, which is a conotation with how old something is, which should have no relation towards how good someone is at doing something
Not necessarily, I understand at face value, the word "elder" generally has connotations of the age of a person however there precedent within the real world, the example I will give is something I experienced first hand growing up.

The elder within a church does not denote a person's age compared to the rest of the congregation, it is simply a rank held by certain persons within the church, we had a 26 year old elder at the church I attended (nepotism at it's finest imo but that is for another story no one here wants to hear) but my parents were both older than 26 at the time and they still referred to the person in question as an Elder of the church. (I know, I know, evil Christianity needs to be left out of any discussion because it alienates others, angers the devout aetheists and has no place in the "modern world"....Well to that I say, tough cookies.)

In fact, looking at a dictionary, (specifically this definition), the second definition has nothing to do with age, instead it is in reference to a person who is of a higher rank within a group's social structure.

Technically anything can be used, I chose Elder first and foremost because it aligns with the official skill titles from the official game but I don't care if you guys want to use "Klaben-Shlaben Tinker" to denote someone's skill with Tinkering, as long as it is descriptive in it's meaning. We know what Neophyte means, if you don't look it up, we know what an Apprentice is, a certain portion of the population will understand that Elder does not in this instance denote the age of someone, albeit maybe a small portion, I am not sure how many people had a similar upbringing to mine where I attended church for the first 18 years of my life using the example I gave.

The important reason, while not necessarily first, but an extremely close second is, Legendary sounds better than Ancient and Legendary just makes more sense at the top tier of a person's trade, something had to be put at second and Elder seemed most appropriate.

Edit: Just wanted to add, English is a wonderful language, full of words that have different meanings :D