GM meditation for monks?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

GM Meditation for monks? (read the proposal before voting)

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 35

Dalton

GM meditation for monks?

Post by Dalton »

Based on:
Dalton Azevedo wrote:As an introduction, one must keep in mind that everything works on the basis of weight and counter-weight, so in order to make something better regarding X you must take away a bit of Y.
Dalton Azevedo wrote:Monks are magic users, and RP wise very wise ones, thus they should be more powerful on the intellectual side rather then on the physical side, therefor it would make a whole lot of sense to drop anat and healing in favor of keeping 65 eval and upgrading meditation to GM, making the monk what it should've been all along, an average arcane magic user, who is devoted to a diety and thus can weild a tome quite efectively!
Along side with this, I would also throw in a "Monk Staff" so that they could still do something to protect themselves physically...
Now with monks being able to become High Monks (not HP as HP -> High Priest), this makes even more sense imho!
Boris wrote:Giving Monks 100% Meditation and loosing Anatomy/Healing for it is okay in my books - but eventually that's something that the playerbase can decide by a proper poll.
So it comes down to a simple question really, do you agree with it?
Simmo

Re: GM meditation for monks?

Post by Simmo »

If it has nothing to do with droping priests medi to 85% then sure. Id definetly make monk then and definetly think about banning Elya just for fun.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

This has only to do with MONKS, it changes nothing for other classes!
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Option

A) Add 100 medi to Monks - Semi Fighter
- Remove Anatomy/healing
- Lower stats (maximum stats or statcap overall?)

B) Add 100 medi to Monks - Religion Blesser/Healer/Support
- Remove GM wrestling
- Increase maximum intelligence.
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Option B already sucks because 100 magery / 100 medi (religious purpose) / 100 eval. Why anyone would choose a mage?
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

It's also possible that Evaluating Intelligence would be dropped from 65% to 40%, but call that a backup nerf, if 100% Meditation goes overboard. We're talking of Priest-like blesses after all.

Generally I'd say the poll is running too soon, because knuckles aren't blessable yet and their power remains a question.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i vote no. if we're gonna lose our fighting side, i might aswell make a mage.
with this change, monks are going to be lesser mages with a tome.
mage
druid (lesser mage + druid spells)
necro (lesser mage + necro spells)
monk (lesser mage + tome)

i'm not saying it'd be a worse char, probably it would be stronger since it seems ppl are keen on having as much int as they can, but i guess i would try mage then?

quite frankly, my brain is melting trying to think of how to fix the monk :D
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Boris wrote:It's also possible that Evaluating Intelligence would be dropped from 65% to 40%, but call that a backup nerf, if 100% Meditation goes overboard. We're talking of Priest-like blesses after all.

Generally I'd say the poll is running too soon, because knuckles aren't blessable yet and their power remains a question.

- Boris

Yeah this poll may be a little early, but I would like to see how the players feel on the change.

For one, DO NOT base your vote off of one Monk people, and yes I mean an Ancient one with a good tome. This is a necessary change to a class that should of had GM med the whole time here at Pang, at least IMO.

Dropping eval int isn't really needed if we nerf Anatomy/Healing. We need to look at this realistically also, this doesn't make the Monk a strong damage character. This gives them a better stat bless, more armor(which they need much more than a Priest) and they become what I believe was intended. A character with the capability of dealing damage with fists(pending the knuckle fix) with a high risk of being one hit, and a more open support role if they choose to do so. This change will obviously bring in new tactics and fixes will have to be made, but I don't see 100 Meditation being a negative. This would make them useful characters outside of a religion also, at least much more than a priest.
632-140-419
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i don't think it's worthy to bother at all with wrestling and even trying to melee, when you don't have anatomy nor healing. the only other class that does so is a bard, but he doesn't have to do it with his fists :P

i say, i think this would make the monk a lesser mage with tome. that's not what i want.

i just don't understand why do we have to give something to get something...if the class "total power" would be negative, it would still stay negative, just in a different area.

that argument should only apply if the class was already balanced
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

Glarundis wrote:i don't think it's worthy to bother at all with wrestling and even trying to melee, when you don't have anatomy nor healing. the only other class that does so is a bard, but he doesn't have to do it with his fists :P

i say, i think this would make the monk a lesser mage with tome. that's not what i want.

i just don't understand why do we have to give something to get something...if the class "total power" would be negative, it would still stay negative, just in a different area.

that argument should only apply if the class was already balanced
Agreed with that. I like my monk as wrestling-melee + magic + rite combo-user.