Piety timer penalty on changing a religion

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should there be piety timer penalty back on switching religions?

Yes, there should be a penalty
43%
No, there's no need for a penalty
57%

Total votes: 58

Monad
Game Master

Piety timer penalty on changing a religion

Post by Monad »

There's been few players requesting to re-apply the piety timer penalties when changing a religion. Basically it would mean that your timer would double if you switch from Imperial to Law for example. Imo this is one of those things what the players decide. So if clear majority wants this back, it can be done. Please give reasoning for your vote.
Tyrion

Re: Piety timer penalty on changing a religion

Post by Tyrion »

On the one hand, applying penalty timer makes people make better decisions and not jump from one religion to another just because they either lose an election / run into personality problems etc. I think it's needed.
xHarlequinx

Post by xHarlequinx »

I voted yes, but only if it is the second religion change. I think that players should have an opportunity to change religions one time without penalty, for roleplaying purposes or personality clash issues; however, after that there should be a penalty to discourage religion hopping.

EDIT: I would rather have no penalty at all than a penalty that takes effect the first time someone changes religions.
Bipina Huntley

Post by Bipina Huntley »

i think no, beacuse this game dont have to be harder than it is now.
It already take a lot of our time to achieve sth.
You have to wait over 4 months in one religion to get 40 piety.
I think that another 4 months is long enough to get it back.
Jaskier Huntley

Post by Jaskier Huntley »

xHarlequinx wrote:I voted yes, but only if it is the second religion change. I think that players should have an opportunity to change religions one time without penalty, for roleplaying purposes or personality clash issues; however, after that there should be a penalty to discourage religion hopping.

EDIT: I would rather have no penalty at all than a penalty that takes effect the first time someone changes religions.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

xHarlequinx wrote:I voted yes, but only if it is the second religion change. I think that players should have an opportunity to change religions one time without penalty, for roleplaying purposes or personality clash issues; however, after that there should be a penalty to discourage religion hopping.

I would be willing to change my position slightly and offer: one or two changes from one religion to another w/o a penalty would be acceptable.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

No penalty needed.
Plenty of reasons posted.
Some players who might want to try out different tomes, abilities and maybe even RP style and whatnot.
So, why should we ruin their fun?

Have religion hoppers caused much trouble on the shard?
Have they abused anything critical?

Some players do even extend their RP by hopping from one to another, which is what the staff expects from the players so why should we have any penalties for roleplaying?

RP wise, it doesn't much make sense to me.
But in the other hand, if you switch a religion there could be a different kind of penalty, but not one of the kind to affect the entire piety timer for you, that's a no go in my eyes.

But i'd rather see something like a 10(?) day delay (systemwise) before your actual piety timer starts once you switch a religion/class.

EDIT; To add a note, the piety granting ability is still in the Headpriest's hands which is solely up to the Headpriest when the member is approved to gain more power. Hence, this is the main reason for me to remove this kind of penalty.

Thanks.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i think that, since there are no ways to get huge piety, no penalty is needed. you're gonna get your 40 piety anyways, and since there's no way to get more than that (except for very rare cases of 50 piety) it's as if piety isn't based on how good you rp, so changing your rp (read, changing religion) shouldn't be a penalty.

although, i would (in theory) add a penalty for people who are clearly religion hoppers and play for the power of the piety rather than for the rp itself. that's annoying, even if they're not abusing anything in the system.
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Already hard enough having to start over, but I think jumping to a 2nd religion after the first change requires a penalty. We need to stop multiple religion hopping.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I see no good argument for penalties. It already takes months to regain your piety, and religion switching usually happens due to GM intervention or player conflicts - both valid reasons for a switch.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota