What studded suit do you use?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

In PvP

Black Dragon
5%
Red Dragon
7%
Black Daemon
14%
Red Daemon
26%
Stone Giant
2%
Storm Giant
14%
Magic studdeds
16%
Something else (cheaper stuff)
16%

Total votes: 43

Simmo

What studded suit do you use?

Post by Simmo »

What do you use? If you can, then leave "Why" as a post.
Last edited by Simmo on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jyrgen

Re: What studded suit do you use?

Post by Jyrgen »

I use red daemon, just cause necros can instakill me no matter what set I use, so I just resorted to using the cheapest possible. Back when there was no necros and I was fighting melee chars, I used red dragon a few times also.
Edward Sinclair

Post by Edward Sinclair »

I generally hang around in troll or lizard hide studdeds on my druid, maybe at most titan studdeds- just anything to give some protection on my druid. I don't bother with demon hide studdeds for anything, they're not very useful anyways, but I don't PvP anymore/avoid it so I'm not in a position to say how useful they are compared to someone who is active in PvP.

The giant leather studdeds I buy is just "town gear" that I use to show off to people and maybe attract the eye of the ever elusive UO girl. They give nice resistances but AR wise they're pretty sucky and I would never use them in PvP- they're too rare with too little benefit to risk ratio :)
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

PvM suits are welcome also, ill make a topic for that after this one. Going to test all the suits out soon.
Biggs

Post by Biggs »

Who read Simmos game based question and voted Storm Giant :D:D:D:D:D:D
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Honestly I would highly recommend red daemon for PvP price/benefit-wise. Stack your boxes full of them.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Boris wrote:Honestly I would highly recommend red daemon for PvP price/benefit-wise. Stack your boxes full of them.

- Boris
And what tailors do with the rest? But else you are kinda right. Rest sets price/benefit is unbalanced.
Edward Sinclair

Post by Edward Sinclair »

This might be a bit off topic- but if hides have better features than bones, I don't see why it should be a problem considering the classes that often use those leathers for armour are those that are easiest to kill in PvP (as long as they don't hide behind guards- but let's not look at an entire class based on the play-style of one person!) and will easily lose their gear. If red and black demon hides are dirt cheap but offer good protection, great! But I think the issue here is if red/black demon hides are good, the giant studdeds should be plain awesome :)

btw Stone and storm giant studded armour are the sexiest armour EVER!
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Edward Sinclair wrote: But I think the issue here is if red/black demon hides are good, the giant studdeds should be plain awesome :)
The problem with red/black daemon is that they're basicly too good (don't worry, they won't be nerfed), so do take the full advantage from them and buy in stocks.

What comes to the high-end, they're awesome effect-wise. Stuff like storm giant is ment for PvP, but I suppose a dskull set is a good equivalent. That's a PvP set, but you don't see them in a battlefield either. They're more about v-penis.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

A few months ago I did a bit testing with Elya. This is what I got:
Red daemon: AR 25. ----+-+---+---------+---+-+-+------+--+-----------+--+--+-+--+------+++--++-+-------------+-----+---+++------------++----+--++------+-----++------+----------------+-----+------------------------+++---+-+-----+--+---+-+-----------+---------------+--
Black daem: AR 28. ----+---++--+-----+---+--+----+---+-+------+++----+----++-------+---+------+---+-+--+---------++--------++---+-+----+-+-+-+-+----++-+--+--+---+-+++++---+++--+-+--+-+-----+-------+--
Red dragon: AR 27. -+-++--+--+---+-+----+-+-+-++-++----------+-+----++-+-+---------+--++-----------++-+---+---++-+-+++-+---+--++-----+-----+----

Each minus indicates a non-reflected hit, plus indicates reflected it.
Statistics:
Red daemon: Reflects ca 19% of the hits.
Black daemon: Reflects ca 29% of the hits.
Red dragon: Reflects ca 31% of the hits.

Dunno but somehow red dragon set costs like quite much more than black daemon, yet the effect doesn't seem that much better. Or the POL random number generator screws up.

Also, what good is reflecting like 30% of hits, when you'll probably die in 2 hits as studded-user anyway? Means that the REAL survival isn't going to be increased enough to make using high-end/more expensive armors a viable option.

The two main problems with those more expensive studded PvP armors, as I can see it, are:
1) The probability of you dying is too high to make it cost-effective option. And there are still things that can instakill you in PvP, no matter what armor you use.
2) The high-end armours aren't THAT much better. The effect might be good on paper, but if the armor costs just too much due to being hard to get, there's just no point.

EDIT: Years ago I tried storm giant set with my druid. Yes, it was pure awesomeness... for duelling. The set itself cost like 300k+ back then, being too expensive to use in real pvp situations.