Like, 3D stuff... and things

This is where you can post your own creative products. Stories - music - whatever you can think of. Remember - the rules of this forum still aplies.

Moderator: Game Masters

Boern

Like, 3D stuff... and things

Post by Boern »

So, we have this 3D modeling course going on at school and it really has tickled my fancy. Now, this is as basic stuff as it gets so calm your nipples and avert your eyes if you're expecting something actually good-looking.

Purple Teddyh. Ya ya, shut up, you have to start from somewhere...

It's a... can of soda. How exciting, totally.

Ooh, a shiny hat.

A Man of Lego. Now with glitched right arm and shadows!

Lego Gandalf walking on water. Isn't that the most amazing thing ever, ever?

My eyes! Ze goggles do nothing!

I did make a milk carton too which I'm sure everyone wants to see, right right? No? Fine!
Ares

Re: Like, 3D stuff... and things

Post by Ares »

Wow dude, that looks amazing! Really impressive.

What kind of tools do you use for that stuff?
Sid DeTritus

Post by Sid DeTritus »

i demand the milk carton!
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Nice. Which program are you using?
Nymphea

Post by Nymphea »

Teddy! I want a purple teddy!!

Great design :)
Boern

Post by Boern »

Aaw, you guys are way too sweet!

I'm using 3ds Max 2014, the student version is free to use which is great. I'm mostly just going with the basic box modeling techniques; Make a box or some other standard primitive and mess with the polygons, edges, and vertices to make the basic model. Add in details and a smoothing modifier and BAM, you got a smooth model. Smack on some fancy materials and there you go.

Well, it's not always that simple and problem solving seems to be a big part of modeling. Eh, big part for me anyway. :p
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Boern wrote:So, we have this 3D modeling course going on at school and it really has tickled my fancy. Now, this is as basic stuff as it gets so calm your nipples and avert your eyes if you're expecting something actually good-looking.
Are you kidding me? I'm rubbish at anything art like, I might fancy myself decent at writing but in the end, I'm an unedecated Amarican. that looks pretty good and your purple teddy is probably the best one if I am honest as you have the fuzziness of it down, if it would of been smooth it would of looked like a non translucent gummy bear.

I also like the goggles, peering through the left lens you even detailed it enough to see through the lens to see the interior of the eye piece itself.

Nah, good work, we're only being kind if your work sucks, it doesn't.

But to note, you should give your Lego Gandalf a hole in his foot otherwise, he can't stand on Lego Middle Earth! :D
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Boern

Post by Boern »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote: Are you kidding me? I'm rubbish at anything art like, I might fancy myself decent at writing but in the end, I'm an unedecated Amarican. that looks pretty good and your purple teddy is probably the best one if I am honest as you have the fuzziness of it down, if it would of been smooth it would of looked like a non translucent gummy bear.
Oi, some of the smartest people I know are Americans! Oh, and you have no idea how long I spent adjusting the gosh darn fur to make my Teddy not look like a mutated porcupine. I absolutely despise the built-in hair and fur modifier. Furries are still haunting me in my nightmares but eh, now that I think of it, that might be unrelated...
But to note, you should give your Lego Gandalf a hole in his foot otherwise, he can't stand on Lego Middle Earth! :D
Funny you should mention that. That was the first thing my brother also mentioned too when I showed him the picture. I had no idea the holes were missing! It's kind of scary how blind you become for flaws when staring at something for too long. But you're right, it would be tragic if Gandalf was stumbling and bumbling around Middle Earth.

Bonus wheel, push all the colorful buttons!
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

God damnit, maybe I should take some courses in 3D modelling as well. I installed blender a few weeks ago and I checked a few youtube-tutorials and made this as my first and only project. A lot of people were telling me I should texture it. Sadly, texturing the object made out of one single mesh (cube) seemed a bit too hard and beyond my skill. After that I haven't been bothered checking it. It's been a few weeks now so maybe I should take another look.
Boern

Post by Boern »

Definitely. If you have a chance to go for a course, do et!

That's one sleek looking spaceship, too. Very detailed and sophisticated for a first project, for sure. I don't know how textures work in Blender but in 3ds Max you have a library of easily modifiable materials which can be assigned to objects or to specific polygons. If you're hardcore, you can unwrap a UVW map of your model and make your own textures in Photoshop but that takes some work if the model is complicated.

But yeah, looks great, you should keep going!