Like, 3D stuff... and things

This is where you can post your own creative products. Stories - music - whatever you can think of. Remember - the rules of this forum still aplies.

Moderator: Game Masters

Boern

Re: Like, 3D stuff... and things

Post by Boern »

Thank you, thank you.

That shall be my contribution for the advancement of mankind. You are very much welcome.
Dante

Post by Dante »

I hope ale does not come sold separately. You will have a very unhappy customer if that's the case.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.

Winston Churchill

Ert wrote:After a long tiring quest, Dante retires to his land of rainbows and marshmallows.
Boern

Post by Boern »

Sure sure. For asking so nicely, you get a lifetime of supply of ale with it.

Like the saying goes... Give a man a tankard of ale and he'll drink for a day. Give a man a tankard of poisoned ale and he'll drink for the rest of his life.
Boern

Post by Boern »

And my axe! I've always wanted to say that.

Another tutorial piece. First time dabbling with some 3D sculpting and ZBrush as if I didn't already have too much to learn with just 3ds Max. Sculpting is definitely fun but it feels like it's one of those things where it would be useful if you had at least some tendencies for being artistic. I made macaroni pictures for my mom when I was 5, that's about how far my artsiness goes.

Anyways, bats are awesome. Yes, that's a bat and not a dog.

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

I would say low poly modeling takes more artistic talent then sculpting. You can always add more vertices to sculpting later on thus making it easier to change things.
Boern

Post by Boern »

Yeah, you're probably right. Making low poly models look good is sooo depended on your texture work that it for sure takes a lot of artistic talent. Normal maps do help on adding some hi-poly details to some lower-poly models though.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Boern wrote:Yeah, you're probably right. Making low poly models look good is sooo depended on your texture work that it for sure takes a lot of artistic talent. Normal maps do help on adding some hi-poly details to some lower-poly models though.
Texture makes a model 10x better at least. But... I think 3D printing is what makes models the best... :3
Boern

Post by Boern »

Indeed! In fact, if you see someone berserking and terrorizing around the town with a batsy plastic axe, that would be me. Well, If I had access to a 3D printer anyway.
Boern

Post by Boern »

A bit of a failure, this one. Looked all fine and dandy in Zbrush but dropping down the polygons, baking the texture maps, and bringing it back to 3ds Max managed to flatten and smudge all the details. Well, now I know better.

It's pretty clear that Zbrush is made to be used with a graphics tablet cause oh my lord is it awkward at times with a mouse. I'll have to see if I can borrow one of those pads somewhere to try out.

Time to try something of my own next. Should be uh... interesting.
Boern

Post by Boern »

I wanted to make a dino so I searched for some reference pictures. Apparently this is now a raptor. My childhood was all lies. Goddamnit Jurassic Park, I thought we were cool.

I still elected to go with the generic dinosaur that never was, in blue. Basic mesh in 3ds Max and details and textures in Zbrush.

Here it is in its natural habitat looking very confused indeed. Didn't feel like rigging so no poses. :/