Fear - Chapter One (Long read!)

This is where you can post your own creative products. Stories - music - whatever you can think of. Remember - the rules of this forum still aplies.

Moderator: Game Masters

Raegen Keenarrow

Fear - Chapter One (Long read!)

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

First I will do a little explaining. While I'm not sure what everyone's comfort level is when it comes to reading. I tried my best to keep it clean and sorted. Not meaning on language use. Although I would've loved to go butt wild with it. It's just not very professional to suit everyone. I just mean format-wise. It's not long and lengthy before changing to another line. I used OpenOffice and kept it's format. Although I done a little editing myself I will admit. While my English is not perfect, I hope my spelling and grammar and spacing is good enough to read. If you make it all the way through to the end then congratulations!

The first chapter is mainly to introduce the first main character in this story series that I will be developing. I plan on giving each main or important character in the set their own back-story kind of like this. Who they are or were and how they come to meet other characters as an example. Eventually they will all arc together blasting off a whole new series of story telling.

I might even go with using Construct 2 to build an interactive format where I will have POLLs eventually where people who actually bother reading this stuff can vote on important decisions. Will a main character die, who will they fall in love with? Will they cheat on their partner. As examples. Based upon final votes, I will add the next "Chapter" voted upon in a patch people can then update with to continue reading. Just like how a game would do their updates. I also do plan on sketching my own artwork for scenes that will be taking place to give a better visual of the story. Though I try my best to put that image in peoples heads as I write. I'm actually going to do that for this story itself. I just had to post this somewhere already as I spent the last 3 maybe 4 days writing this. Also I would love to have a "sound" version of my stories. Where people can choose to either read or have it play for you like a cinematic trailer feeling. That'll cost me a bit to do though. Since I would no doubt hire people for voice work. I don't have any equipment to do that type of stuff myself. Although I bet people would just love hearing my Canadian accent saying "aboot" all the time. : P

On a final note. By the format. I wasn't sure if I should have kept it the way it is. Copied and pasted from OpenOffice. Or if I should've edited it to make it stretch across the full screen here. I'm using 1920x1080 resolution. No clue what everyone else's is however. So I kept it short and simple. A technique I also learned a few years back. Making it more "novel" appearing. Long lines as I was told is a bad thing. It causes people to zone out and lose interest or whatever. So it was better to have shorter lines where peoples eyes were moving more frequently. That all depends on what type of novel you're reading though I suppose. 12 and a half pages later, here you go. I still need to find my technique other writers use. Though I'm just starting to get back into it. I've got much to learn again. I hope someone enjoys the story. : )

By the way, both positive and negative feedback are welcomed. As long as it's constructive and to the point. I realize while things may not be AAA material, it does take criticism to grow stronger and become better at what you do. If there's ways I can improve that I may not be aware of, then I welcome the knowledge of others. I'm just a beginner and I expect there to be flaws. If people would rather a longer sentence spread format than what is shown below, let me know! It will also help me when I begin posting on my website. When I get one put up.

Fear. Imagine yourself with seconds to decide between two paths. Each leading to a sorrowful
disaster, while at the same time opening another door. That door led to either saving the life
of your most precious loved one, being your wife or child. The other led to saving a member
of your family. Be it your father, your mother or any siblings you might have.
Perhaps you suffer from severe cases of arachnophobia. You are bound by rope laying on the floor.
A large container of spiders are about to be released right next to you. Nobody around to help.
You're alone, weak and cold. Being a prisoner of torment for days.

Now take all those fears combined and multiply them tenfold. That is how I felt. Each and
every day. Starting as a child. Being the victim of indifference. The victim of society.
Made fun of for the clothes I chose to wear or was forced to wear. Not caring for the name
on the tag, but for my own comfort. Family laughing at my ideas and dreams.
Always telling me I would fail. Never amount to anything. The loss of friends over
decisions I would make.
Your first crush in high school may not have been the most popular person.
You refused yourself to pick the phone up and ask them out or talk to them face to face.
For fear not only of rejection, but how your life could turn out if your friends found out.
Fear of being ridiculed by others for asking them out. You may now become a target
of others where you once weren't. Become the laughing stock of your class.
Never thinking of the positive outcome of what could have been.
It's not entirely your fault though. You grew up having others keep you down your whole life.
You never challenged the world back. You just gave in to it's will. As you always will.
So that's how your mind developed overtime. Never experiencing the better things in life.
You bottled yourself up and kept everything inside.

Who am I kidding. Those are obsolete to the things I have witnessed. While I may have
experienced most of the things above, that is not the point to this story. My story.
In fact I'm not even sure where to begin. I can tell you it's not going to be short.
You will need to come back another day, if I'm still around. To hear the full story.
Actually... there is no full story. My life and those around me are a continuation of the journey
you are about to partake in. Just remember... that how ever bad your life may be or seem to be.
There's others out there experiencing far worse than you could ever imagine experiencing
yourself in. We take for granted most things in life. Or at least most of us do.
Even the small things matter in life. It's not all about this go big or go home business.
Live in the moments of the now and focus less on the past or on what things could be.
Because if you're not living in the now, than what could be then will never be now.
You've already allowed yourself to become blind of what is already in front of you.
Learn from your mistakes. Welcome them. As they are only a barrier in your life.
Designed for you to overcome. Behind every successful person is a you.
Nobody ever starts from the top. Those who have built something for their name have
worked hard for it.
Even the vicious criminals of the today started from somewhere. I say to welcome mistakes
because your life will be filled with challenges. Some harder than others. It's all up to you
to challenge them back. This will help you to become stronger as a person if you accept them.
Conquer your fears.

Fear. Are we back to this one again? A funny word when you think about it.
Let me tell you a story about the word fear. It is just an emotion. An object in life set
for those strong enough to overcome and master. If you allow it though, it can also be
used as a weapon of control against you. Not this soul however. Who am I you might ask.
To the answer I would say is not important. Not for the time being.
I shall let the story do the telling for you. I however refuse to give in to others.
I write and sing my own song. I do not believe in destiny already being placed for others.
At least not anymore. I allowed myself to be blind once. Things changed in my life.
My mind and eyes were opened. I could see things clearly now. I knew what my purpose
in life was. Heck... if I didn't. I wouldn't be here today to tell you this story.
It all started back... you know I don't even remember when now. Just listen to the story
and see if it really matters. I can tell you though, that it starts with a...

*BOOM!* The ground trembled as an explosion struck in the wastelands.
The cries of war rage on as bullets zing across the field. Followed by more explosions.
Blood and limbs flying through the air as bombs continued to strike. “There's too many!”
A soldier shouts out. “We've got to pull back!” Another voice yells. Another soldier stands
up in retreat as a bullet rips through his flesh and exits through the other side.
Straight through the heart. Dropping him as fast as he stood.

“Stay down men! We do not retreat. If it's the last thing we do, we will take this field.
So help me God I will shoot you myself if you even think about it!”

A leader of men yelled to the others. General Frank Wilburn to be exact.
A battle hardened hero. It was dark aside from the quick flashes of explosions and flames
that would ignite. The sky was blocked out by the heavy smoke of burning fires as tanks
were lit on fire.
Artillery shells and other air support rained hellfire down upon the field.
Destroying anything in it's wake. Sending rocks flying across the open battlefield.
A dangerous place to be if caught in the open. Gunfire continued as the men dug deeper
in their trenches. Knowing fully well that their general was serious.
Loud whistling sounds spread out across the front lines followed by explosions as rockets
came crashing down. Screams continue as men were blasted into oblivion. A soldier stood
up from his trench and began charging forward. “Rrearrgh!” Went his long shouted battle cry
as he charged alone across the field, spraying bullets far and wide.
“You see that men?!” General Wilburn shouts to the others. A smirk now crossing his face.
“That is what real men are made of. Full of both crazy and stupidity!” For some, stupidity was
having the courage to do something and the crazy to act upon it whenever challenged.
Okay. It may just be pure ignorance while hoping you die rather than live through this hell.
Whatever would get the job done in the long run is all that mattered to Frank Wilburn however.
General Wilburn now stood tall while looking down upon his men.
You could see the hatred in his eyes. The anger he felt towards his enemies. It was almost as
if he'd gone into a frenzy of sorts. Fear meant nothing to him. It was his weapon.
Some might think he's gone too far to continue leading. Nobody however, was willing to
challenge this and relieve him of command. Frank Wilburn now shouts to everyone
as bullets continuously fly by. One managing to wing his shoulder. Not even a flinch
crossed his face. Acting as if he wasn't even hit.

“Get up you cowards! We are the Reapers. We say who lives and who dies.
We are the ones who take lives, not give them! We have a thirst. A thirst for blood and glory.
Now let's go quench that thirst! Take this field or die trying! Charge!”.

General Wilburn began to run forward as his men stood up and followed pursuit.
The battle shouts rumbled across the field. Almost drowning out the sounds of bombs
crashing down upon the field. The voices of war call out. As the men charge the field.
The ground vibrate beneath their feet with such a force some would call it an earthquake.
The sky continued to be shrouded in darkness from the smoke feeding off the blazing fires.
The field began to clear up for the men as they continued charging through the depths
of hell itself. Men were falling all around as bullets continued zipping by them with
bombs as well crashing down.
The men all growing into more and more of a frenzy as their brethren fall beside them.
When ahead in the distance a bright flash crashed into the ground. Sending a shock wave
of force so strong in all directions. The men continue to push forward in their march across
the field.
Having no idea what had just happened. When suddenly everyone is hit with a brute force.
Sending everyone flying backwards a far distance. Even the broken down vehicles and
tanks were blown back from the force. Men were scattered everywhere across the field.
None still stand. The explosions of bombs themselves too stopped. All was silent.
Even the burning fires had become extinguished in time by the force of the shock wave.
The sky however remained shrouded by darkness. The dieing smoke was not enough
to reveal the sky.
A noise off in the distance can be heard. Almost as if a scream then is gone again.
Back to the soldiers. Movement begins with a hacking cough. “Hello?” A soldier calls out.
“Is anyone alive?” Again the voice is heard. The soldier begins to stand while looking around
for others, brushing himself off. It was General Frank Wilburn.
“Here Sir.” A voice calls back. Turning he can see movement under some debris.
Rushing up he begins to help by lifting objects off from where the man was pinned down.

“Help!” Another voices calls out. “Hold on. I'll come to you next.” The general says back.
Finally managing to pull enough debris off the soldier, he moves on to the next one.
More voices call out as other soldiers begin to stand. Rushing to the aid of others found alive.
The men now reforming groups. Splitting into six groups of five.
For that is all that remained while everyone else had all become casualties of war.
Burned by the flames they were sent through before they became extinguished or having
heavy machinery fall upon them. Others were knocked back against hard rock surfaces or
impaled by the fallen tree's that had became victim to the blasts of explosions.

“Alright men. See what you can scavenge from the fallen, but be at full alert.
We've still got a war on our hands.” Frank Wilburn ordered. The men begin scavenging.
Taking extra snacks, ammo clips, water canteens, grenades and anything else useful that had
not been lost or damaged in the blast.

“Thomas. See if you can find a radio. We need to call this in.” Frank orders out.
“Sir yes sir!” Thomas replies as he goes out searching. The men continue searching
for supplies. Time passes on and all remains silent. Frank Wilburn now taking a pair
of binoculars. He looks ahead to where the enemy had been holding ground.
Searching for any signs of movement. He could see nothing except for a little bit
of light smoke smoldering away. A little while later Thomas returns with a radio.
“I'm not sure it still works Sir. I found it buried under some broken machinery parts Sir.”
Thomas reports back to Frank. “Well let's just hope it does then. Good work soldier.”
He replies back to Thomas. Frank begins turning some dials while at the same time giving
the radio a few smacks as he attempts to get it working.

“Desert Eagle - this is Reaper One. Over.” First attempt failing to receive anything but
static in return. “Desert Eagle - this is Reaper One. Do you copy? Over.” He says again.
Once more receiving nothing but static. He hits the radio a little harder. Turning more dials
while attempting contact. “Desert Eagle, this is Reaper One. Do you have a copy? Over.”
Getting nothing in return Frank tosses the radio giving it a few kicks. “Just like my wife.
Useless unless she needs something in return.” Thomas laughs. Or so that is until the
general gave him a glare.
“Alright men. Let's move out. We aren't going to find any answers standing around here.
Besides we may still have enemies ahead of us. Let's go collect our paycheck.”
Frank says with a smirk across his face. Paycheck meaning the blood of the enemy.
The men spread out and begin pushing forward. Keeping an eye on their surroundings.
Still no sign of movement ahead in the distance. The men continue to push on.
Guns aiming ahead of them at all times, ready to squeeze the trigger.
Now approaching closer to their destination the men come to a stop.
Hiding behind whatever cover they could find. That mostly being destroyed vehicles.
Some behind boulders while others lay down peeking over a hill slope.

“Private Daniels. I need you to scout ahead. Private Anderson and Rodriguez.
Follow in behind him. Spread out and keep your eyes peeled.” Frank was ordering
out before getting interrupted.

“Ah come on Sir. Why can't you get Private Blake to do it instead. He's the new guy.”
Private Daniels whined back. “Are you refusing a direct order Daniels?” Frank yelled
to him angrily. “Sir! No Sir!” Private Daniels replied back.

“Good. I would have you shot on sight. Then feed your intestines to my dog back home.
So tell me then, are you a giant pussy?” Frank shouts back.

“Sir! No Sir!” Was Private Daniels' reply.

“Good! Because I do not accept a pussy in my group unless I were making sweet
passionate love to it. Do you want me making sweet love between those butt cheeks
of yours Private Daniels?” Frank Wilburn yelled back.

“Sir! That would be disturbing and most unpleasant Sir!” Private Daniels says back.

Frank returns with “You cut me off one more time instead of doing as you're commanded
and that's exactly what's going to happen. Believe me when I say that I would just love
to come over there and shove this boot so far up your rectum your momma's gonna be
feeling something back home. It won't be from no daddy of yours either.”

Some of the men growing smirks trying their hardest to hold laughter in.
“The rest of you keep watch on your three, six and nine o'clock. Don't forget to cover
those hillsides.” Frank Wilburn gave orders to his men. “Sir! Yes Sir!” Everyone replied back.
General Wilburn did not want a rookie to lead scout. That is why he chose Daniels over
Private Blake. Daniels had more time served. Which brought more experience.
Private Daniels, Anderson and Rodriguez now moving forward. Daniels leading scout
twenty meters ahead of the other two. Remaining ever alert there were no signs of movement.

Just the gusts of wind that would pick up from time to time. Other than that things were
all silent as they continued to slowly push further and further. Daniels now come to a stop.
Becoming startled, his breathing picks up in pace. While his heart rate also increasing.
Squatting to one knee he motions the others to halt while holding his gun forward.
Keeping his visual straight.
“What is it Daniels? Do you see anything?” One of the other men speak out.
Ever so ready to squeeze the trigger. Daniels began looking in all directions. Thinking he
had seen some movement in the distance. His eyes now squinting. He looks far off and out.
Letting out a sigh of relief while his rapid breathing comes to a calm.
He turns around to signal the other two to come forward. Private Anderson and Rodriguez
begin moving. When suddenly a gust of wind so fierce begins to form.
Sand blowing so wildly through the air. Blocking all visual ahead.
The sand engulfs Private Daniels. Moments pass with nothing to report.

“Ah!” A long scream suddenly goes off.
The storm began growing stronger. Both Private Anderson and Rodriguez are also consumed
by the wicked sand storm. General Wilburn hearing the scream he orders his men to stand ready.
Losing sight of the others he tries yelling out.

“What's going on out there?”
The storm had picked up only stronger to a point it merely drowned out Wilburn's voice.
Moving back to Anderson and Rodriguez, the two continue to push forward.
Only this time picking up in pace.

“Daniels, where are you?!” They yell out. “Daniels?!”
They continue to no response. Now looking back to the others. General Wilburn gives
the order to move forward.

“Move out men! Ready those guns. We have no idea who's still out there.”
The sound of distant gunfire and screams echo through the wind. Were Anderson and Rodriguez
under attack?
It was hard for the others to determine while the sand blew fiercely through the air still.
Wilburn and his men begin to push harder.

“Anderson! Rodriguez! Daniels!” The general shouts. The gunfire had stopped.
As well as the screaming. Faint voices begin to form as the generals men approached
even closer. Slowly they begin to form understandable words
“General Wilburn! We've lost sight of Private Daniels.” Wilburn hearing this. He begins
to pick up his pace transforming his jog into running. The other men as well began running.

“Sir!” Anderson salutes as Frank Wilburn begins to form out of the blowing sands.
“What's going on here?” Wilburn asks.

“We're not sure Sir. We've lost all contact with Private Daniels. It's as if the desert just
swept him up.”

“Did you see any signs of the enemy?” Wilburn asks Anderson.
“Sir no Sir! No signs of any movement, Sir!” Anderson reports back.
The general curses a few times then nods to Anderson and Rodriguez.

“Alright men. Let's form groups and start searching for Private Daniels.
Staff Sergeant Taylor. I want you to take Private Gomez, Miller and Corporal Williams.
First Sergeant Torres. You take Private Campbell, Roberts and Corporal Evans.
Sergeant Jenkins. You take Private Alexander, Richards and Corporal Tucker.
Private Anderson and Rodriguez you're with me. Same goes to Private Davis and Corporal Blake.
The rest of you stay here. Be on full alert! You see something moving that's not us.
You shoot to kill.. Does everyone copy? Hooah.”

“Hooah General!” everyone answered back.

The four group's spread out in search for their lost comrade while the others remain
behind cover. “Private Daniels.” The groups call out quietly but loud enough he'd be
able to hear if close by. Keeping their eyes and ears open. They continue calling out
while covering more ground, spreading out a bit thinner and checking behind obstacles.
Staff Sergeant Taylor's group covers the left flank, while First Sergeant Torres' group cover
the right flank. Sergeant Jenkins and his men cover the rear flank. General Frank Wilburn
and his group take the lead.

“Hold up soldiers.” Frank Wilburn stated. “Everyone down low and quiet.” He says again.
The men take position. Each of them covering someone else's back. Frank looks ahead for a
few moments before signaling his men to move out again. “Daniels!” They call out again.
Frank Wilburn signals Staff Sergeant Taylor's group to scout ahead while the others slow down
and provide cover from the rear. Taylor orders Private Miller to take lead scout while the
other three cover him. The strong sands that once blew fiercely now calming down.

“I think I seen something Sir!” Private Miller yells back to Taylor.
The men now rushing up to him. The four stand close together with backs facing
one another while looking out.

“Where Private Miller?” Taylor asks. Private Miller points due north.
“Over there Sir.” He replies to Taylor.
“Alright men. Follow me.” Taylor orders as everyone follows, sticking close together.

Moving forward the men keep eyes looking in all directions. The other three groups move
up closer following in behind. Ahead in the distance movement is seen again.
The men begin picking up pace while calling out for Private Daniels.
Getting no response. They prepare to fire.

“We need an answer. Private Daniels is that you?”
Taylor shouts out. Still getting no answer. Frank Wilburn now yells out.

“Private Daniels. You better not be screwing with us. We need an answer now or we will
open fire!”
The men were about to open fire when suddenly a noise on their west flank sounds off.
Everyone's attention now change the other direction.
“What the hell is that thing?” One of the men shout out.
“I don't care, just fire!” Frank Wilburn orders. As all of the men begin opening fire.

Whatever it was they were firing at, the bullets just seemed to anger it.
This thing just wailed out while flinging it's arms rapidly through the air. It's head shaking
from left to right wildly.

“Sir. I don't think our bullets are doing anything.” A private calls out.
Another soldier laughs before saying “That's alright son. I got this. Come get some!”
Launching a grenade from his gun. The explosion is loud and big.
Once the dust settled, they could see something laying on the ground.
A yellow texture forming out of it.

“What the hell is that? One of the men ask. “Don't you mean what was that?”
Private Richards said back with a big grin. The men all turn back to where they thought
Private Daniels was. However nothing now remained there. The area was empty.
Readying their guns again they begin to approach.

“Something isn't right men. Keep on alert.” Frank Wilburn says.
A high pitched sound is heard coming from the distance. The wind begins to pick up
lifting the sands again. The sound goes off once more.
“I don't like the sound of that.” Corporal Williams says.
The ground begins to tremble beneath Corporal Tucker's feet. As quick as it happens
an arm reaches out. It grabs hold of his foot sweeping him down. He begins screaming out
while firing in a half circular rotation. The creature now bursts through the ground
knocking him over.
The creature now stand above Corporal Tucker while glaring down at him.
It leaps down over the soldier wailing away. Corporal Tucker begins screaming.
Losing his gun as the creature begins to tear into his flesh. His intestines now beginning
to hang out as the creature rips open his stomach. The other men begin firing upon the creature.
The creature turns his head briefly, letting out another wail before it takes off running.
The soldiers could not bare to hear the sound and cover their ears. All but one.
An angry Frank Wilburn. Who continue to blast away at the beast while it flees.

“Come on men. Pump some lead into it!” He yelled to the others.
Everyone now begins aiming towards the creature unloading round upon round.
Private Richards launching more grenades out. Everyone now screaming out at the top
of their lungs. The creature manages to get away, leaping over a hilltop quickly disappearing.
Not without leaving a trail of yellow fluid behind though. The men begin moving forward
to chase after the creature. Coming upon the trail, the men begin tracking down the beast.

“Stay on your alert men. Now we know what we're dealing with and it ain't human.”
General Wilburn shouts out. Time goes on and the men travel a far distance.
The only time the men had stopped was to take a drink of water from their canteens.
They now begin coming upon a town in the near distance. Taking a pair of binoculars,
Wilburn looks ahead.

“Do you see anything Sir?” Staff Sergeant Taylor asks. “Negative.” To his reply.
“Just abandoned buildings it would appear.” Wilburn continued. Putting the binoculars
away he signals the others to move forward. The trail of yellow fluid had disappeared.
The men now stand just outside the town. The groups fall into their original formations.
Staff Sergeant Taylor leading his men. First Sergeant Torres leading his and so forth.
Taylor takes his group on the west side while Torres goes opposite. Jenkins takes his
men through the center of the town to the opposite end, working their way back.
While Wilburn and his men start breaching through each building. They clear each room
out one by one moving towards Jenkins' group.

“I've got something here!” Corporal Blake calls out.
“What is it?” Wilburn asks as he and the other members of the team start making their way
to him. “Y-y-you'll have to see f-for your-s-self S-Sir.” Corporal Blake says in a distraught voice.

The men now stand behind him. Looking in the room Corporal Blake was clearing.
“Oh my God Sir. Who could do such a thing?” One of the Privates say.
“God? No son. God was not here when this happened.” Ahead of the men lay a family
of corpses. All strung upside down. Blood dripping from the finger-tips.
In total there were four people. Looking like a mother, a father and two children.
A son and a daughter. God had nothing to do with this. Their insides lay on the floor
below them. Well most of them.
It's as if they were skinned alive while hanging upside down. No. Whatever done this
was not from this earth. The blood still seemed fresh. The bodies were still warm too.
Whatever done this could not have gone too far. The men spread out and call out to the others.
Everyone now meeting outside in the central part of town. Reporting to Wilburn.

“Alright men. Whatever is here has taken claim to this town and everyone in it.
Now unless we want to join them, I say we hunt these bastards down. We know what
we're dealing with and we know what they're capable of. So everyone execute with
extreme caution. Shoot to kill and shoot on sight. Hooah!”

The general goes as the men answer back. “Hooah!”

“Corporal Blake, you come with me. Everything's going to be fine son. I promise you that.
I'll die before I let another one of my men be taken to these inconceivable things. Move out!”

The general says in attempt to calm Corporal Blake down. The day had been a long one.
The sun had already set while everyone was in checking buildings and around the perimeter.
Everyone now with their lights on slowly began clearing everywhere. Nothing could be found.
The moon hung high in the night sky. Shining full light around the town. A cool breeze blowing.
The air had become a little damp. When suddenly a noise was heard. With one sound
came another. Followed by another.
“Uh Sir? I think we're about to have company.” Private Anderson says.
The men now start to take cover looking all around. Their eyes ever moving.
Trying to spot any movement.
“Watch the ground everyone.” Frank Wilburn says.
“We know they can come from beneath you.” Again Wilburn speaks.
Down the street a few buildings, one of the creatures form from out of the shadows.
Another creature appears followed by another. One after another they come.
“Look high! Up on the roof top.” Staff Sergeant Taylor yells. “They're everywhere Sir!”
Private Davis says in a concerned voice. “Pick your targets and commence firing!”
Wilburn returns. Everyone now begins letting open their guns. Blazing through the creatures.
None of them seeming to go down. “Frag out!” One yells. “Frag out!” Another yells.
Private Richards now launching grenade after grenade from his gun. The explosions
repetitive. One after another. Almost lighting up the whole area. Loud screams begin
to form as the creatures leap forward. Others jumping from roof top to roof top swarming
the men. Private Campbell goes down as one of them leap off a roof and onto him.
Private Miller goes down. Corporal Tucker followed afterward. First Sergeant Torres
goes down as well. The creatures all lashing out at them as they fight for their lives.

“Die you scum sucking bastards!” Private Anderson yells out. Bullets continue to
spray the enemy as the men look to be getting desperate.
“We need to pull back!” Private Alexander yells. Frank Wilburn now gives the order
while holding suppressing fire. Staff Sergeant Taylor and Corporal Evans stay and
help their general out with suppressing fire. As the men fall back, they turn to return
suppressing fire for the others can start falling back as well. As Staff Sergeant Taylor
turns however, he's taken by one of the creatures as it rips through his chest
“Taylor!” Frank Wilburn shouts out as he continues firing while moving backwards.
The creatures begin to overwhelm the men. One by one they all begin to fall.
All that remain are Frank Wilburn, Sergeant Jenkins, Corporal Williams, Corporal Blake
and Private Rodriguez. Corporal Williams takes cover behind a waste bin continuing fire.
As he continues to fire he looks over to Private Rodriguez. Lashing out at Rodriguez,
a creature cuts clean through his throat. His head now rolling across the ground.
Corporal Blake stand next to Sergeant Jenkins. Continuing to fire at the creatures when
suddenly their guns draw empty.

*Click Click Click*

“Reloading!” They both yell. Wilburn and Blake still continue to fire.
Corporal Blake looks up after reloading just in time to see one of the creatures come
ripping by. His guts now fall to the ground as he shortly after follows. Dropping to his knees.
Another creature runs through taking off his head while also causing First Sergeant Jenkins'
gun to be knocked flying. Pulling out his combat knife he begins to charge wildly towards
the creature. Stabbing his knife out viciously while screaming a final battle cry before he is
torn to shreds.

General Frank Wilburn yells out to Corporal Williams.
“Retreat soldier! At least one of us is making it out of this God forsaken mess alive.
I'll cover you as long as I can. That's an order!”

Corporal Williams remains frozen in shock. Witnessing all his comrades fall in battle.
“Corporal! Move! Move! Move!” Frank Wilburn yells again.
Finally Corporal Williams comes to. Looking to Wilburn he gives his final salute
before he takes off running. The gunfire continues with Wilburn's raging screams.
The beasts begin circling Frank Wilburn. Toying with him at first as they circle around.
While making strange sounds to one another. The beasts now stop as a louder unfamiliar
scream sounds. Frank's gunfire had come to a stop. One of the beasts now approaching.
As the creature moved closer, Frank could begin seeing what they were. Or at least
to some extent. He never understood what they were but they were definitely not from
this earth. Closer the beast came. So close now, it grabbed hold of Frank by the head.
One hand was all that was needed to seemingly palm it. The creatures eyes emitted a
yellow glow. The texture of it's skin seemed to be of lizard-like being scaly.
The skin was both rough and seemingly cold. It's teeth long, plentiful and razor sharp.
The color of the skin was dark like an onyx. Though the skin was not whole. It appeared
to be full of wounds. Not caused by the firefight, but of some other nature. Veins exposed.
Also full of yellow glowing fluids. Very thin blue tubes strung all across the creatures body.
The body was covered in what seemed to be advanced technology. Being part lizard
while mostly covered by machine. A lizard-like cyborg of sorts. It also had a long thin tail.
The tail itself seemed weapon-like as long serrated blades follow down to the very tip.
The creature looks the general in the eyes long and hard before raising it's other arm high.
Turning this moment to his advantage, the general manages to pull the pin of the three
grenades he had strapped.

While laughing he speaks out. “The next time your eyes open. The first thing you'll see
are a pair of boots. My boots. As they come smashing down upon your skull in whatever
hell you're apart of.”

Corporal Williams keeps going until suddenly he hears an explosion.
Turning back he looks to see the flames of the grenades Frank had used as a final
going out. In hopes it would allow his last soldier a head start on getting away.
Seeing a creature burst out from the flames heading towards Corporal Williams, he returns
to retreating. Heading towards where they had originally separated from the first group.
Williams managed to stumble over someones torso that lay in the field. Hitting the ground
hard he shouts a bit as if he twisted his ankle. Getting back to his feet he begins limping away.
Moments pass as the creature gains upon him. Williams tries to jump out of the way as the
creature leaps out.
Williams let's out a sharp cry in pain as the creature's tail strikes through his leg piercing
through the other side. Williams falls to the ground, turning around as the creature stand
looking over him. With a loud growl the creature prepares to finish the job.
As the creature raises it's arms in the air ready to rip through Williams with it's sharp
long claws, a laser-like blast rips through the back of the skull and through the other side.
The creature now fall over the soldier. Williams not sure to be relieved or worried about
what's going to come next. It was no man-made weapon that just lay waste to this beast.
Attempting to get back to his feet, he begins shoving the beast off of him.
When a foot come crashing down upon the corpse, clamping down a strong brute force
that was too much for the soldier to lift through. A warm barrel of a gun now press against
his head.

“State your name or I will shoot” A shadowy figure speaks out.
Williams not sure what to think he just stares up. Trying to get a look at whatever
was talking to him.
“State your name human or forever hold your peace.” The voice says again.
This time in a more stern commanding way. While putting more pressure down
on Williams' chest. You could almost hear the sound of a ribcage beginning to crack.
“Corporal Derek Williams of the United States Army!” he yells out in pain.
“Good. You do talk.” The voice speaks out again as it removes its foot.
Releasing the pressure that held Corporal Williams in place. Moving to turn, the figure
begins walking away.

“Wait!” Williams calls out. “I need help. You must help me get to my men.” He continued.
“Your men are already gone. They're now drones serving under another.” The voice replies.

Looking confused Corporal Williams attempts to stand. Only to fall back down.
Letting out a moan of pain.
“Please. I need your help. I'll die otherwise.” He says in a begging plea.

“You would be better off dead anyways.” The voice replies as the figure spins around.
“You humans could not begin to fathom the powers that I hunt.” The eyes now begin to
reveal a blue glow. Corporal Williams begins to see visions. A deep dark cold presence
surrounds him. Looking ahead he feels as if he's starring into the dark abyss. His vision
begins to cloud.
“What are you?” He speaks out.
“That is not important. All you need to know is I've spared your life.”
It returns in a darkening voice.
“What did you do to me? It was as if looking into your eyes. I could see a future.”
The figure begins stepping closer. So close now that the facial features begin
to form. Williams' eyes now widened with fright.
A grin now cross the face of what seemed to be a female of another race.
“Could you now?” She goes.

Williams let out another grunt of pain, gripping around his wound. The figure begins to
hum a hymn rubbing her hands together. After a few moments into it, her hands begin to
vibrate a brilliant blue glow. She begins to move Williams' arms as she then places
her hands over the wound. Instantly it began to heal.
“H-how did you do that?” Williams asks in a frightened voice.
The figure chuckles lightly.
“Does it matter? Are you humans not just satisfied in results?” She replies back.
“Please. Do not seem so afraid. Have you not realized I mean you no harm?”
She speaks again. Williams sighs in relief at first before speaking back.
“For all I know. You're no better than these.... things. You could have some wicked
purpose of amusement.”
The female figure now snarling she says back in a raised voice.
“If I wanted you dead. I would have just killed you. Why would I heal your wounds
if all I wanted to do is kill?” She begins speaking in her native tongue with an angry
look on her face.

“Alright alright alright! I'm sorry! I guess I should be thankful instead. For that
I apologize. I do not mean to offend.” Corporal Williams returns.
“But you must understand my doubts. I am the only survivor of my squad.
The deaths of all my comrades were also not caused by humans. Then you appear.”
Calming down. She smiles. “That is because your kind are unprepared for what is
about to happen.” With a look of confusion the man asks a question.
“For what is about to happen? What is that supposed to mean?”
She returns. “The assimilation of your human existence. Just as it was done to my kind.”
“Assimilation? How?” Williams replied.

“You seen those things. Well they once used to be a peaceful race. Living in another
galaxy far from this one. They were voyagers just like your human race. Curious to
learn if there was any other existence. For years they studied just as your kind do.
Their studies began to expand in the curious minds of their race. When one day a
wealthy one stepped forward to partake on a new journey. His funding’s allowed
the advancements of their work. Now building machines capable of long journey's
at the same time as allowing those willing to take on the task a longer life-span.
Almost as if slowing their aging process down to a complete null and the bodies need
for nourishment to survive. Immortality if you will. As your kind would call it.
All of this achieved by a small power source. The Xaxis Quadrosphere it was called.
After a long process of further studies and advancements, they were finally ready to set
upon the long journey ahead. Years had now passed by. Decades even. When finally
they managed to find a new territory unexplored by anyone ever before. Not aging
a single day in their entire travels. As if time were frozen itself. They made landing.

Astonished by everything they had discovered. They found out they were able to inhabit
in this new world. The things they had discovered set their technological lives decades ahead
in advancement. All accomplished within months of arriving. The race began their construction.
Turning this new land into theirs. Years had now gone by. They began with the transportation
of their most wealthy people from their homeland. As time went on, so did the re-population on
this new planet. They continue to live their lives in peace and harmony until one dark age struck.
They were not alone on this new land they claimed as their own. Even the new technology they
harnessed could not prepare them for what was about to happen.
You see... everyone had begun to die. One by one they would all fall into sickness.
Something had gone wrong with the Xaxis Quadrosphere. It began to lose it's power.
Upon research they had discovered parasitic devices living within the blood stream of
everyone on this new planet. It began infecting the host. Starting with the nervous systems.
Shutting everything down in the body. Until one day a new life formed. The parasitic
devices had taken complete control over their host body. No longer themselves.
An advanced unit some would call it. Almost... cybernetic. As you have seen for yourself.
You know what I say now is true. They are part flesh in your words, while mostly machine.

It is an excruciating experience I have learned. Their only goal is complete assimilation of
any planet in any galaxy they encounter. Until one day there is no life forms except for theirs.
My planet as well fell victim to this parasitic cybernetic race. I am the only survivor of my
people. I was forced to kill my own father. My mother had died years before any of this.
I had no... siblings. I was alone. Young. I vowed on that dark day to hunt down any existence
of this race. To put an end to their invasions. I will not stop hunting until I have killed them
all. They live off your fear. They sense you. As long as you are afraid. You will be hunted
and assimilated. I can help you however. I can offer you a power I have picked up in my travels.
If you so choose to fight with me. I will bestow upon you a great power. It will allow you to
bend time itself. Rip through the astral planes granting access to other worlds or dimension.
Like a fast travel. You will be stronger, faster, smarter. You will be able to see things where
others can't. You will learn any language you hear within seconds. Which is how I am able
to talk in your language. I studied your men for a while. Followed you. I knew you would
lead me to them.

So tell me Corporal Derek Williams of the United States Army. Will you join me? By the way.
You can call me Satiara. I have many names. This one will suffice though. What is your answer?”

Satiara extends her hand offering to help stand Corporal Williams to his feet.
He reaches out taking hold of her hand. With a tight squeeze she pulls him up.

“If that involves me getting some payback for what these things have done to my brothers
and I. You can count on me.” Corporal Williams states.

The two of them disappear as a flash of light blasts through the air.

I am going to end the story here. I'm sure you have figured out who I am by now.
I grew up as any other person would in the world we live in. I had joined the army
by the age of eighteen to make myself stronger. I felt pathetic, cowardly and weak.
So I made the decision to become a better man than I would naturally have growing
up alone. As to why I never gave my name earlier. Well. It shouldn't be me standing
here today telling you this story. So many more men deserve to be here instead of me.
I was a coward. My General. One of the greatest men alive. A war hero to many.
He sacrificed himself so I could run away with tails between my legs. I have learned
a lot since then though. I look forward to sharing my travels with you. Should you choose
to come back another day.

Over and out.