Dinking around with POL

This is where you can post your own creative products. Stories - music - whatever you can think of. Remember - the rules of this forum still aplies.

Moderator: Game Masters

Cyrus Tegyr

Dinking around with POL

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Spent the afternoon since I am sick right now on this little project, putting other more involved projects on hold, it is nothing special, though the gump could be snagged from it and used to replace some of the more simpler slider gumps on this shard, thought I would share it, it is available for use.

I have plans to expand it to allow for players to write messages on the origami paper and then fold it into a shape and then the origami can be unfolded to reveal the message. Though since I am running Time of Legends, four of the art images I used will need to be removed if it wants to be put into Pangaea.

Origami

Posted here for download

Should mention, I have no immediate plans to ever run my own shard, this is purely a hobby for me at the moment, while I learn and relearn stuff I had forgotten and not known how to do. I am purely taking ideas I have posted on these same forums that were never implemented and putting them down on paper on my own little test shard, so of course, merchant skills are my forte in my opinion so I have been spending a lot of time with those.

Maybe I will post a few more screenshots of things I have been doing for the fun of it, I know one of the things I have put together would probably get use by house decorators, and no I do not mean the infamous carpet package.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Cyrus Tegyr

Re: Dinking around with POL

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

An old script I scripted many many moons ago, I want to say 13-14 years ago, for anyone who played on Avalon (sorry I know I mentioned the evil name of a shard that used a pre-launch version of Pangaea as their base, similar to how Pangaea uses 90% of someone else's work...hmm) or Hopelives, they will remember this most likely if they owned a piano.

I just spent about 20 minutes updating it slightly to have a better looking gump, coloring the text in the gump to a color that is reminiscent of the colors I wore on Journey's End on my mage Gwenavere when I was playing on that shard, a nice sky blue, basically double click the chess board and choose a song from the list and it will play one of 15 songs for you, nothing fancy as I did not account for players around you but it's an RP item that makes pianos slightly more than just decoration.

Here it is, if Blckfire wants to throw it into the shard, I think it'd be neat and give a use for pianos beyond decoration, the song numbers may need to be changed slightly as it is a rather old script I probably was running the AoS client back then or just before it so obviously songs have since been added to the client, though the first song in the list is stones I know that song changed but the number remains the same, for nostalgia's sake I will leave the comment in at the top which lists my admin's name for Hopelives and I believe the very very very very short time I did stuff at the beginning of Avalon(again, that evil name) before it had even launched.

The additional functions at the bottom might already be present in Pangaea's packet.inc file assuming it has one, it probably does, so if it does, you can remove them and just include the packets.inc file, the PlayMusic command does not seem to be available to pol096 and personally I have had it work sometimes but not others.

(Sorry, gdrive does not appear to like png's, if I post any other screenshots of things I will try to remember to save them in another format, you can download the image to see the ingame gump, stupid Google.)
Song list

I will eventually throw this out on the POL forums as well, but for now, have at it,
piano.src
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Been awhile but anyone, I'm doubtful anyone does, but if you use Scite, here's some additional functionality I posted over on the pol forums. Very useful for editing files and in particular the Dec to hex converter shortcut functionality saved me a ton of time when working on cfg files someone else decided to use decimal numbers in and I prefer almost everything number related to be in hex format.

Additional Scite Functionality
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Another little project, works as close to the official servers as I could based on reading and in game poking around on ServUO. I'm probably going to start on the Davies' Locker next, this was a wonderful learning experience as I found a major issue with POL that crashes the shard and I learned important lessons on the differences in script types.

What is a runic atlas?

Runic Atlas
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Still dinking around.

For shits n giggles, I started working on my own interpretation of a class system. If anyone is interested in seeing what I've begun, send me a Skype or icq and I can send screen shots and you'll probably be asked for general input on my class ideas I know some of you have already seen or been asked for input. I'm going to put my class system ideas in written form but I think, if adopted by someone it would combine aspects of the class system we've come to love on Pangaea and putting in place stuff where I believe the class system has fallen short, in particular, the sheer breadth of classes put together were consolidated to 8 fighter classes, 3 magic user classes and 7 merchants as I recall. My goal is to remove any notion of base class, it is I feel a vestige of the class system repsak chose to use for Pangaea and no one's been able to explain as to why there even is base classes with any real satisfying explanation. Two merchant classes combined, heightening while I hate how it's done on Pangaea, will be referenced as specialized and offers a more linear but at the same time defining aspect for each class and will automatically occur when something* is triggered. Each class will get 4 set skills they can specialize in and which will advance to 100 initially but whenever the triggering mechanism* is met, will allow the skill(s) to be capped at 120.

Had a set back where I have to change something's but I'm fairly certain it will be a better way to do a class system and allow for future proofing any class changes we've all seen happen here on Pangaea, by that I mean less work for any staff using my class system but will still bring more than likely some frustration to players but it won't be such a headache to get skills added or changed to a class.

While I have access to many different class systems many of which predate Pangaea's but which look similar in make up to Pangaea's, I have opted to start from scratch and write my own.

I've also been helping where I can on the POL Distro which is the basic pol shard, kind of exciting to be albeit a small part of a project.

* - haven't yet settled on the triggering mechanism but I have two ideas floating around, either fully trained OR based on when certain aspect of a skill is met such as when fully trained, is a class is set to be able to specialize in healing, the character has to heal a certain amount of health before it unlocks the skill from advancing further.

I'll post some screen shots of my housing system with a brief write up on future but eminent additions that I feel the housing system Pangaea is using lacks that I've working into my housing system which uses WoD's housing system that I rewrote about 70% of including the Gump. Maybe I'll post some of my crafting system ideas as well that I have begun working on to get feedback on, I don't know if any of this will see the light of day but I'm just having fun overcoming challenges and learning.

Class selection Gump

Note: since I actually wrote most if not all the class descriptions on Pangaea's website myself, I have used much if not all the class descriptions where I could and changed them only slightly. I have no problem using my descriptions for classes from Pangaea since it was my work to begin with.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

So not my housing package but something that has to do with housing, House Addons (deeded items).

I wrote my own package to handle these item types, it is mostly done I just need to add a a banner, curtain, rework a carpet package and sign deed which shouldn't take too long but I'm entrenched in other little projects as I tend to jump around to different packages.

With my version of deeded items, I opted to allow players to target where they want to place a deeded item, select facing of course but removing the terrible slider gumps and a confirm placement.

This method makes adding new multipart items a lot easier back end and thus far I have over a hundred different deeded items that are currently able to be placed by this system.

So to give a quick idea of what it looks like to place a Large Forge in this instance, here are some screen shots:

House Addons (Deeded Items)

Note: that harpsichord pictures is fully functional, scripted that as well :D
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Some screen shots of my class system work thus far.

I've opted to do away with base classes, so a character will login and select a class.

There are 5 categories which a skill may fit into for a class, these being Specialization, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Penalty. Make no mistake, while I use some of the keywords for the skill categories, this system has been and will be completely written by me.

Class descriptions are taken from Pangaea's class system info page but since I wrote those I feel justified in purposing them for my project.

The idea for my entire project is to put as much information as possible in game to prevent the need to tab to a webpage somewhere hence some of the size and design decisions for these gumps.

The logistics for gaining skill and switching classes has not been completely worked out but I've got ideas on what to do and will undoubtedly need to work on penalties for switching a class if it becomes a bit of an annoyance.

Heightening will be worked in from the start and you can already see one of the key features in the class selection Gump, heightening will be referred to Specialized or Specialization where Specialization and Primary skills will cap at 100 but once fully trained, those skills in the Specialization tier will automatically be able to be advanced, this is the basic thought though I've been given an additional triggering effect that may be a better route where each specialization skill can be advanced only if the character is fully trained and an achievement directly tied to the skill is met. I'd like ideas on this.

Ultimately, my goal for writing my own class system is to make the class system more character friendly and staff friendly where should a skills tier need to be changed or removed altogether it can be. If a skill is removed, tier changed or replaced, I'm looking for a compensation type system that would make up for the loss in the changed skill but haven't worked that out I need some serious ideas people who want to bounce ideas off each other so feel free to hit me up on Skype or icq if you've got ideas for this.

Class System Thus Far

Stat selection Gump will be done tonight through this weekend. I have some neat stat specific features which I can tie in directly to the class system and I might do that.
Gurrnutt Venomblade

Post by Gurrnutt Venomblade »

Looking good! Also noticed your backpack, nifty!
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Thanks, I've completed the last interactive Gump, for the class system. I want to do a final overview Gump of the selections made during the process.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Uploaded the second to last Gump in the class creation process (link above), this allows the player to select his starting town which will also set a hometown prop on the character for future reference. This was added also in the event I want to make a custom starting town list or for use with a customized map.

The final Gump in the class selection process is also done just no screen shot of it quite yet as I forgot to screen shot it but it is mainly an overview of the players selections before he accepts his choices.

Ivr opted to go with a stat modifier for health, mana and stamina, just need to work out those numbers.

In terms of actual work ahead I'm about half done and I believe the remaining work won't take me long (maybe a week?) as I don't have to count pixels as I did for each Gump and it's elements to have a relatively Raven spaced Gump.

Religions next so feedback always welcome, chiefly, is character created religions a necessity? How many religions? Tome rites (less is more is what I'm aiming for) and religion classes. I have two classes slated for religion based but need help with figuring out where to fit in the second one, it's skills and best armor class.