I done lost my last guitar pick!

This is where you can post your own creative products. Stories - music - whatever you can think of. Remember - the rules of this forum still aplies.

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: I done lost my last guitar pick!

Post by Glarundis »

you mean that when you are pressing with one finger, you can't "control" the others so that they stay close and prepared to play?

well that's something normal for everyone, our fingers are not used to be in military shape :P

so, first the basic position is like

your thumb on one side (in the middle) and the other four fingers opposite, about at the same distance (like you could put a ruler to make them (the fingertip) all stay on top of the ruler. this isn't even guitar related, you can just try it without the guitar.

with the guitar, it takes time, it takes mind control as well, you have to try to control your fingers and sometime's it's hard because another finger is pressing a string, that's when the other fingers go nuts :D you can do this extremely slow, just to get your fingers used to respond to your brain.

then, in terms of "real" exercices, you can do this. put one finger on each string, the four treble strings. and one finger on each fret.

in terms of tablature it goes like this: (from the 9th to 12th fret)

e 12 (little?finger)
b 11 (ring)
g 10 (middle)
d 9 (index)
a 0
e 0

then, with all sorts of combinations you can find (1=index, 2=middle, 3=ring, 4=little), going from easier to harder ofc, like 1 2, 2 3, 3 4, 1 2 3, 2 3 4,....... 12 (like both at the same time), etc etc..... 13, 14, 24, whatever, 123, 234 etc etc
with these combinations, what you do is. all the fingers rest on the string without pressing it. but they rest on it. then with the finger(s) for the combination you are doing, you press the string, not until the string touches the fretboard, but just a little bit. you do this for a few seconds, then you change combination, etc..

ofc, this isn't stuff that ppl do when they are starting, you don't have to do this, and i only do this occasionally and i only learned about it this year. but even without this, what's important is that you make your mind control your fingers (with time, it will come either way, these things and mind control just help it be more "organized" and "flawless")

and you are right, if you want to play faster you want to put your fingers near the strings, so that they won't "travel" as long (and as slow :P). it's not just about being slow or not, it's also about effort that you spare your fingers.

when you do this sort of brain exercise, you'll freak out within minutes so don't worry :D it really feels like your brain is doing some heavy work hehe. maybe not this one, but if you want i can give you an exercise to do hammers and pulls, after 5 minutes you'll want to shake your hand as if there was a freaky parasite inside it haha.

do keep in mind, though, that these exercises are easier for the electric guitar because of the guitar neck, how hard/easy it is to press the strings, how far are the strings from the fingerboard, etc
but in a classical guitar they are annoying!
Uzriel Raven

Post by Uzriel Raven »

Thanks for the awesome advice Glar, after focusing on that for about 20 minutes there's already a little more control in my movements, I gladly add it to my practice routine. I admit that during the first four minutes a strange sensation built up, ended up shivering and then it was gone lol. I miss my guitar pick, but I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy more. Electric guitar just feels so weird without one.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

yeah when you feel stressed, just rest and relax your muscles, shake your hand and stuff. hurting in the fingertips is ok because they are not used to press the strings. hurting in the fingers/hands/arm is not ok and when it starts to hurt just stop a bit and shake it, massage, whatever. ofc, you can't treat the slightest bit of impression as pain otherwise you'll stop every minute :D

for classical/acoustic guitar i'd recommend fingerstyle.
for electric i'd recommend pick.

it's not just about the strings being different, it's about the type of stuff you play on each of the guitar. pick won't be able to do what fingerstyle does (unless your use the pick and some other fingers (can't remember the name of the "technique"), and while fingers can do what a pick does, in specific stuff that the electric guitar uses (riffs, solos) it is easier, faster and less complicated for the brain to use a pick.

but i think mark knoppfler uses fingers right? i really like his solos :D