The the Good People of Moonglow - Your Mayor

This if for Roleplay posts. Notes - meant only for single persons should be posted in the Roleplay stories / Personal letters section. Only In character posts are allowed, and no smilies.

Moderator: RP Moderators

Bestia Domare

The the Good People of Moonglow - Your Mayor

Post by Bestia Domare »

Hello all,

The revenue aquired from Moonglows taxes have consistently fallen short of the costs to run the city. The unpaid costs have been paid from my own and few other's personal savings

The next pay day is in 3 days and the city is short of over 200,000 gold in its coffers.

Please make donations today and tomorrow if you can spare the gold.

Taxes will have to be raised.

Thank You.

Bestia Domare
- Your Mayor
Please send inquiries to the Pigeon-Post coordinates of 670 442 981
Glarundis

Re: The the Good People of Moonglow - Your Mayor

Post by Glarundis »

We've made our living in Moonglow and have paid our taxes, and they've already been raised once.

If there are not enough people living in the city, it's sad, but you shouldn't raise taxes, you should just let it go and have to fire some of the people, perhaps even have a word with the Head Priest of Imperial to let go of some of the guards, I don't know. But raising taxes is just going to annoy the few people that still live in Moonglow. What are you going to do?Raise taxes until there's only two people left but paying huge amounts of gold each month?

-Glarundis
Bestia Domare

Post by Bestia Domare »

I appreciate the the concern Glarundus, and as Mayor I am obligated to provide an explanation of the situation.

The taxes in Moonglow have been very low since I have been appointed to Mayor, I have raised them once from 1% to 2%.
Over the months, however, the 2% tax rate only brought in enough gold to cover one-third of the city expenditures.
We have made it through the past few months on donations, however, this is not a reliable source and must be fixed.
For the safety of the town and people, the wages of the guards must be made on-time every month.
Union complications and world-government subsidising requirements prevent any changes in the number of guards Moonglow can have.
None can be hired or fired, so that is not an option.
Aside from the guards, Moonglow is very bare for city paid workers, so there is simply no cut-backs that can be made.

Since expenditures cannot be substantially reduced and only one third of the monthy costs are covered by a 2% tax rate, the tax rate must be increased to 6% for Moonglow to be a sustainable city.

We must all do our part to keep Moonglow clean and safe so don't feel these costs as a burden,
every coin deposited into the city coffers is an investment in making, and keeping, your home a great place to live.

I will continue to keep an eye on the budget and if the opportunity comes, I will bring the tax rate down as low as I can.
Your Mayor,
Bestia Domare
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

I am aware that guards are not to be fired, I wonder why, the gods these days have some strange rules. That's why I thought, maybe, if you speak to the Headpriest, and he would pray to Esuna, and say, if Esuna has any power at all, I'm sure she could do something about it. Maybe she knows something about the very high powers of this world that we do not know..Who knows...

-Glarundis
Arden Darkfall

Post by Arden Darkfall »

Aren't 6% taxes higher than the required?
There's almost 1 million surplus per month.

-Arden
Bestia Domare

Post by Bestia Domare »

Hello Arden,

The income of the town is not steady and a number of us have been donating to the city over the past few months in order to keep its financials in check.
I installed the tax rate of 6% to account for these fluctuations as we bring the town net positive.
Based on the results so far, we have generated more revenue than the town required this month, which is great, but it was not by a staggering amount.

The maximum monthly income the town can generate is unfortunately a very rare occurrence, so the 1 million surplus per month you speak of is strictly hypothetical. It would only happen if the situation arose where every resident paid their taxes in the same month, which doesn't happen.
To put it in context, this month is nearing its end with a 6% tax rate, and the city coffers are just shy of 300,000 gp.

I had originally increased the tax with the plan to reduce it after 30 days, which is about 8 days away. Expect taxes to be reduced to 4% at this time.

If there is anything else of concern, please let me know.

*Signed*
Bestia Domare
- Mayor
KrondorZuula
Counselor

Post by KrondorZuula »

This is an outrage, there is no need for six percent taxes! I demand they be dropped.

Alaric.
Bestia Domare

Post by Bestia Domare »

Taxes have been reduced to 4%

- Bestia Domare