Necromantically Inclined

This is for General Roleplay stories and personal Letters. Please note this forum is not for General Roleplay posts, ONLY stories, diaries, letters etc. All off topic posts will be deleted without further warning. Replying to a topic without the authorization from the original poster is illegal.

Moderator: RP Moderators

Thoran

Necromantically Inclined

Post by Thoran »

Shira waits at the Moonglow inn.

Darrol has just left to talk with his ex-girlfriend Lethe Quedver, to ask if they can spend the night at her house. Darrol suspected that Lethe would prepare them a room regardless of the late hour. The cause of their sudden appearance in Moonglow was none other than the Wayfarer alchemist Ripkin.

Ripkin and the two necromancers had been head-to-head for a while now. Ripkin and Darrol having quarrels was nothing new but Shira's involvement was another thing. Shira had confronted Ripkin and they had reached an agreement and had formed a truce, something that would benefit everyone, even though they were both flirting with danger, musing on the prospect of what might happen if things got serious. After a long talk they decided to spend an evening together and even shared some pleasantries. During that, it became clear for Shira that she might not be able to best her and would require outside help.

But things had escalated quicker than she had thought. Eric Shadowblade, a fellow Wayfarer had suddenly started to wreck havoc in Britain. He had started by threatening Darrol and continued by going absolutely mental at the guildhouse. All the threats were addressed to those who Eric saw somehow as enemies of Ripkin or those who had insulted her. All things considered, Darrol got off easy.

Shira sat alone in a empty inn room while drinking some tea. She had just had a panic attack and was convinced that Ripkin was behind everything. She took a doubtful glance at her tea and placed it to the nightstand. She could perhaps get a cup of tea at Lethe's house and it would be less suspicious. Would they be safe even there? Shira didn't so much fear for her own sake but for the sake of Darrol. How could she protect him? Who would be ready to hel-. Her thought is interrupted as Darrol returns.

"Shall we go? Lethe is preparing us a room."

The thought of seeing Lethe, Stefanun and Adel brings a smile to Shira's face. Today she wouldn't need to worry.

Last edited by Thoran on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charha

Post by Charha »

Lethe Quedver bears some resemblance to her esteemed father, Mr. Quedver or the "Blue Wizard" as his colleagues call him. She even has a thing for the color azure. Darrol is glad that unlike her father, Lethe is not overly stern or unforgiving. Far from it. Even now her door is open to both her husband-never-to-be and his new lady friend Shira. Perhaps Lethe might even be a little smug about how much she's able to put up with, after all these years... Darrol still thinks that he ought to express his gratitude somehow.

He is holding a cup of tea, leaning against the doorframe of Lethe's study, watching the woman work her magic. She is studying mana crystals and scribbling notes with fine, sophisticated handwriting so small that one would strain one's eyes trying to read it in this dim candlelight.

"I hope I'm not disturbing", Darrol says. For a moment his eyes linger on the woman's bare white neck. It's still weird to think that they used to live together in a big mansion in Nujel'm, raising a family together. Those days are gone, never to return, and even the mansion is nowadays owned by some merchant who apparently made his fortune with thousands of spades and more grains of sand anyone could ever count. What a waste. At least Lethe seems pretty happy here in Moonglow.

"No, you're not disturbing", Lethe replies and dips her feather pen in an ink quill. She isn't easily distracted from her work. "Still, you could have written me a letter so I could have prepared for your visit... But I suspect that your retreat from Britain was quite hasty. You're in some sort of trouble? Care to tell me more about it?"

"Um, well. We've got a couple of troublemakers in our guild, the er, Wayfarers, that is. And it got so nasty that we decided to leave before we got more involved in their sordid businesses. We could have stayed at the inn, but Shira was very distressed and I thought she might feel safer here", Darrol explains. "I'm sure she will feel much better in the morning."

Lethe turns slowly in her chair and observes Darrol with a pair of blue, calm yet calculative eyes. "Is she asleep now?"

The necromancer nods and says: "It is very kind of you to tolerate her so well".

The dark-haired woman smiles gently, even though she keeps her distance, as she always does. "I've told you many times that I don't hold a grudge for what happened. The fates whisked us apart and I think I was luckier than you since I got to keep our son. And even though I hated Buva when you at first introduced him to me ages ago, he has, over time and despite his occasionally insufferable nature, kept me company and my house safe. And then there's my darling Adel."

Darrol marks that Lethe does not directly thank her strange houseservant for the pale and strong-willed daughter he had given her. Even though they all like the starry-eyed little Adel, these sorts of unnatural affairs, and children born out of wedlock, are a scandalous subject in the prestigious circles Lethe frequents, and the less said about these matters the better.

"Besides", she goes on. "Darrol, my dear, you were always so weird. When I was younger I thought it was fascinating, and a wonderful way to infuriate my father, but when I dragged you into social events you were always like a fish on dry land. I think Shira will understand and appreciate your quirks better than I would have, on the long run. I have my crystals and you two have your necromancy. Who knows, she might even be able to help you with your illness. I'm beginning to think there is nothing in the realm of the living that can cure your coughing... How can she even listen to it all night long? I thought it was nerve-wrecking."

Darrol can't help smiling a little. He takes a sip of his tea before it goes cold. "I would compliment you further, but you already know everything I might say."

Lethe smirks. Perhaps she knows. She seems to have forgotten about her work for now. "Are you still looking for a place to stay? It's a shame what happened to that little tower you had near Trinsic, but I'm not really very surpised. The place was located on no man's land, too close to the swamp, the nearby thickets were teeming with lizardmen and..."

"Yes, I know, I know", Darrol cuts in. "Having those vampiric ruins nearby was actually a good thing, believe me, as well as the proximity of the swamp - at least until the mold spread into our books. But you know, we actually saw this nice house on sale here in Moonglow..."

"Oh? Here? As necromancers you two would stick out more than the everyday magic user, but I suppose you might have a decent welcome. Perhaps even an invitation to a social event or two, although that might not be something you'd enjoy..."

"Well, no. But we thought it might be nicer to live somewhere a little closer to you and the children. Unless, um... Unless that would make you feel uncomfortable. We do respect your right to privacy. And Stefanun is old enough that he doesn't need us looking after his studies all the time, even though he aspires to be a necromancer."

Lethe gets up from her chair, walks over to Darrol and takes him by the hand. "Nonsense, it would be lovely to have you here. What a funny little cluster of friends we'll make."

Her old beau hesitates and clears his throat. "I don't suppose that, uh, that your father would share your enthusiasm for having me and Shira live here. All things considered, what with our past together and everything... Do you think the neighbors will talk behind your back about this?"

Lethe might be cool as a cucumber and she knows her etiquette to a tee, but she's still occasionally touched by the spirit of rebellion. "Oh, I hope they will, Darrol", she laughs and then bids him goodnight.