The artifact

This is for General Roleplay stories and personal Letters. Please note this forum is not for General Roleplay posts, ONLY stories, diaries, letters etc. All off topic posts will be deleted without further warning. Replying to a topic without the authorization from the original poster is illegal.

Moderator: RP Moderators

Aznar

Re: The artifact

Post by Aznar »

"Be it faith or just good luck, there is a reason why we are all here at the same time. Tell me, are you willing to fight for this world?" Malek asked, as he regarded all of them in turn. Lilo returned that look with confidence and nodded, and so did Lila. Sabrina said, "You think I care one bit for this world? This world has spitted me out, old man. If you want me to help it, you best be prepared to pay. One million on top of what you already owe me, take it or leave it."
Malek sighed but nodded. This girl seemed truly lost. Then he looked to Ziven and said, "can we count on you?"
Ziven smiled and said, "Well, I've always wanted to save the world."
Lilo said then, "careful with this one, Malek. He is not to be trusted."
Ziven looked at Lilo, feigning pain and commented, "and again the heartache. Please, by all means, keep on doing that untill there's nothing left to hurt."
"Well then Ziven, I welcome you to our party but if you fail us, you won't just be failing us. You'll be failing yourself, cause if you think the Dragonlord wants peace for the world, think again," Malek said.
Ziven shrugged at that and said, "what are we waiting for? Let's roll!"
Malek said, "we'll leave the dungeon and go to my home. We need to prepare a plan," and he still needed one or two more to join the group, but he didn't say that out loud.
With that the companions left the dungeon with Malek in front, calming the dragons once more. As soon as they reached the exit, Malek used his bardly magic to transport them all to his island cabin.
As they entered his cabin he said, "make yourselves at home. If you would excuse me, I'll be back in a few hours."
"Where are you going?" Sabrina asked, suddenly suspicious.
"I'm going to meet a few old friends." With that, he chanted "Kal Ort Por" and disappeared. He appeared at the Moonglow runekeep again, found the rune to Britain and teleported himself there. He reached the castle of the king shortly after. The guards regarded him with distrust, but they allowed him to pass through the gate. He entered the castle and went to the Order of Law quarters, knocked on the door of one of the rooms and waited. There was no response. He knocked again, this time more loudly. A few moments later, the door opened and a tired looking man looked him over. "Who are you and what do you want?" He asked.
"Pardon me, I was expecting to see someone else."
"Ah, you must be looking for Gwydion, aye? Well he left the order in search for knowledge, or so he said. I took his room. It's very comfortable, you see."
Malek didn't like what he heard. Had the sorrow for his lost friend become so great that Gwydion had made an irrational decision? Malek could not help but shiver. "Do you know where he went to look for said knowledge?"
"Naa I don't, me and old Gwydion weren't that close, you see. But you can ask brother Lloth. He and Gwydion talked to eachother often. His office is a few doors ahead. You can't miss it."
Malek walked on and came to understand why he coulnd't miss the room. A large plaque was placed next to the door with the letters 'Office of Lloth' written on it. So he knocked on Lloth's door and this time the door opened swiftly. "Brother Lloth, I presume?" Malek said.
Lloth nodded his head and said, "and you are?"
"Malek Goodheart, well met," Malek said.
"Malek Goodheart? Why I'm honored to meet you! I've heard the many stories of your exploits. I must congratulate you on how you handled the Imperials during the war, when you and your mercenary band fought alongside the order. To what do I owe this pleasure?"
"I am looking for my old friend Gwydion North. I was told that you may know of his whereabouts."
Lloth narrowed his eyes and said, "you are his friend you say? I surely hope you are not looking to join him in his unholy business."
"Unholy business? What on earth are you talking about?"
Lloth examined his face for a while before he answered, "well you obviously haven't heard then. If you were lying, I would know. I'm sorry to say your friend has taken a dark path of late. The very last thing he said to me before he left was that he's leaving to the dungeon Shame to study things he could not study while he was a member of our glorious order, which leads me to believe he has taken it upon himself to start practicing necromancy."
Necromancy. The word stung Malek no less than a bolt of lightning would have. He understood Gwydion's intentions now. Perhaps Gwydion thought Aznar to be dead still, so he was determined to bring his friend back to life one way or the other. This was starting to turn out into such a needless tragedy. He had to find Gwydion and explain the situation. Necromancy would not be the solution they need. Maybe there still was some time to convince him.
"Thank you brother Lloth, and fare thee well."
With that Malek recalled himself back to the runekeep in Moonglow and looked for the rune to Shame.
Aznar

Post by Aznar »

The dungeon Shame was not really a dungeon but more a mazelike cavern, inhabited by many a creature. Malek made his way through the tunnels, dazzling some orcs with his music while slaying slimes and other vile creatures with his weapon. It didn't take him long to find a trail of orc corpses scattered around, leading him to the entrance of a tunnel covered by spiderwebs from top to bottom.
"That's odd," he said out loud. The spiderwebs were there, but he could see fresh footprints leading into the tunnel. He performed a song of true seeing and saw the webs disappear. Malek knew then he was on the right track. He followed the dark passage and at the end of it, he saw a light. Cautiously and as silently as he possibly could he approached it. He peeked around a corner and what he saw then made him shiver. He saw his friend Gwydion performing dark magic on an orc corpse, laid down on a stone table. In the corner of the cave he had collected an impressive pile of orc corpses.
"An Corp," Gwydion was chanting and shortly after the orc corpse on the table started to move. It got up from the table and immediately tried to attack Gwydion. Gwydion spoke a few words and the orc burned to a crisp.
Gwydion cursed out loud and yelled, "why can't I bind them to me?"
Malek stepped into the cave and said, "hello Gwydion."
Gwydion jumped up in surprise and was about to cast a spell, until he saw that his visitor was Malek. "What are you doing here?"
"I came to see my friend and to make sure he's alright," Malek said.
Gwydion frowned. "I am alright, you can go again and leave me to my work."
"And what work might that be?"
"You of all people should know what I am trying to do, Malek."
"Yes I can make a guess, but do you truly believe learning necromancy will help Aznar?"
A glimmer of doubt showed on Gwydion's face, but it was gone as fast as it appeared. "If I wasn't sure, I obviously wouldn't be doing it."
"Look Gwydion, I know you're a smart man. You have lived many years and have gathered a lot of wisdom, but what you are doing now is folly."
Gwydion became angry and said, "folly is leaving my friend to his fate, whatever that fate may be!"
"I know his fate, Gwydion."
Gwydion was surprised by that. "You know what happened to him?"
"Yes I do, and I also know how to help him. But I need your help."
Gwydion shook his head and said, "no, this is the only way to help him. You are lying just so I give up my work and abandon him. Leave me alone, bard."
"This is not you, Gwydion. Already the darkness of the necromantic rituals you are performing is corrupting you. It is not too late. You can still turn back and return to the path of virtue."
Gwydion seemed lost for words then. After thinking for a few moments he said, "tell me of his fate."
Malek told him everything he had learned.
Gwydion took a moment to consider all he had heard. "The moment I grabbed him and transported him out of there while he was bleeding to death, I didn't think. I had to save him. I tried to get him to safety and then heal him, but when I arrived at our destination, he was no longer there."
Malek nodded and said, "the Dragonlord has deceived all of us. He is more powerful than you can imagine. And now, he has taken a new body, the body of the most ancient dragon in the world. He now has everything he needs to grow to his full potential. All he needs now is time."
"Are you saying he is going to get even more powerful?"
"Yes. Right now, most of his essence is still attached to Aznar, but as the dragon body he posesses now grows stronger, he will be able to transfer more and more of his essence to it, until he no longer needs Aznar. Once that happens, he will be at the peak of his power and our world will be doomed. Not even the Gods will be able to stop him then. We will have to find a way to defeat him before that."
"Then I must continue my study of necromancy to gain more power."
Malek shook his head. "You must abandon that path, my friend. Your soul has already been darkened in the past. How hard was it for you to turn back to the light then? This time, there will be no turning back."
"If it saves Aznar and the world, it will be a price I'm more than willing to pay."
"But I am not. Darkness is what got us into this mess in the first place. Come with me, Gwydion. I need you."
Gwydion was about to protest again, but eventually didn't. "Alright. You are the oldest and wisest amongst us, Malek. I will accept your judgement and follow your lead."
Gwydion spoke a few words and the pile of orcs was incinerated by a column of fire. "I didn't like the smell of those things anyway," he said.
Last edited by Aznar on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aznar

Post by Aznar »

The fight was amazing. The two fighters were agile as cats and strong as bears. They took swings at each other with their giant mauls, dodging the hits easilly. It seemed there would be no end to it. The brawlers were equally matched and their finesse and grace were incredible to watch.
Malek had no choice but to make his presence known to them and interrupt the fight, so he stepped out from behind the bushes he had been silently admiring the fight from and approached the two men. At first they didn't even notice him, but after the larger of the two spotted him, he dropped his maul and immediately hugged Malek. The other fighter dropped his maul as well and sat down on the floor, exhausted and breathing heavilly.
"Malek! Good to see you my old friend! Give me a moment to catch my breath, would you?"
"How long have you been fighting?"
"Oh I don't know, about five hours, I think," Crin said.
"Five hours?" Malek asked incredulously.
"Give or take a few hours. Might have been six, or seven. Who keeps track of time anyway, right? So what brings you here, old friend. I thought your mercenary days were long gone. Have you reconsidered rejoining us?"
"I didn't return to rejoin you. I bring ill tidings, I'm afraid. But let's not talk outside. Care to invite me in?"
"Of course, you're always welcome." Crin opened the portcullis of the keep and gestured Malek inside, just before entering himself. The other fighter followed them silently.
"Have you met my younger halfbrother yet?"
"So this is Trimas? I haven't met him yet, but I know of him. That explains his battle prowess. You both inherited your father's fighting skills."
Crin smiled. "Calis was a good father and teacher, though Trimas didn't get his training from him."
"I know, my friend. He was heartbroken when his youngest son left to serve in the king's army. Did you know that? Do you ever see him anymore?"
Crin frowned. "I see him less often than I'd like, but it's the way it is. I'm a busy man. If he wants to know how his sons are doing, he's welcome to visit us here."
Malek sighed. "Calis is a broken man, a shadow of his former self. He has seen too much in his lifetime. He doesn't want his sons to die in battle, so he'd rather stay away altogether. Can you really blame him for that?"
Crin shrugged and said, "well that's up to him then. I'm not blaming anyone. Now back to those ill tidings you bring. I know you never do social visits. What do you need me to do?"
Malek smiled. "Straight to the point, not wasting any time on idle chat. That's what I've always liked in you, Crin."
Malek shared the full story with the half-brothers and watched them listen to it stoically. It was only when he stopped talking that Trimas responded. "We can kill a dragon. No problem."
Malek smiled and said, "do you realize how much you two are alike?"
Crin looked at Trimas and Trimas looked at Crin. At the same time they said, "not really no."
Despite the situation, the three shared a good laugh.
Malek's face turned grim again as he said, "unfortunately this dragon will require more than a few hits with a maul, Trimas."
Trimas frowned. "So far no creatures have withstood my maul, old man."
"Well you're welcome to try, my friend, though I would advise against it."
"What about Aznar?" Crin asked.
"It is my sincere hope that he will recover once we defeat the Dragonlord."
Crin nodded. "As it is mine."
"I never met Aznar, yet his reputation is widely known. But if he is your friend, he is my friend," Trimas said.
"So it is settled. We will help you," Crin said.
Malek nodded. "Here I came to find one friend, but instead i found two. Be welcome, Trimas, son of Calis. I have a plan, but it requires something of you both. There are people helping us who might have a somewhat shady history. I require you both to forget about that past and work together for the good of all."
Crin raised an eyebrow and said, "before I can agree to that, just who are these people?"
Malek shook his head. "Until you've agreed to my request, I can't risk revealing their names yet. The less you know, the better."
Crin thought about that for a moment. "I trust you, Malek. You have a deal." Then he looked at his brother.
Trimas simply nodded.
Crin said, "I will have to tell the others that we are leaving for a while. What would you have me tell them?"
Malek grinned and said, "the truth, tell them you're off to save the world. They will probably have a good laugh and then assume you're taking a break with your brother."
Aznar

Post by Aznar »

“Father!” Lilo and Lila shouted when Gwydion entered Malek’s cabin.
Gwydion’s surprise was obvious. “I… Lilo, Lila. What are you…” but Before he could finish, they both hugged him. Gwydion couldn’t help but smile. “I’ve missed you girls.”
Lilo smiled and said, “we’ve missed you too father. Did you come to your senses again?”
Gwydion frowned and said, “I did what I thought I had to do. I was such a fool. I’m lucky to have a friend like Malek.”
“That you do. I’m so glad he was able to persuade you. We would have lost you forever.”
Gwydion smiled. “You don’t have to worry about that anymore. I see now that I made a terrible choice.” He looked around the room and said, “and who are your friends?”
Lila laughed. “They are not our friends, father.”
“Nevertheless, you should introduce us to each other. I have taught you manners, haven’t I?”
“We’re not children anymore father. The mean looking blonde over there is Sabrina. She has a foul mouth and is very rude. The charming looking gentleman in black and red leather is Ziven, but don’t let his appearance fool you. He’s a brigand,” Lilo said.
“You really are relentless, milady, but I will not give up the quest for your heart,” Ziven said.
Gwydion raised his eyebrow at that last statement and looked at Lilo questioningly.
“Long story, don’t ask,” she said.
Gwydion approached Ziven and shook his hand firmly. “Well met, Ziven. I am Gwydion.”
“Gwydion North? The legendary sorcerer?”
Gwydion chuckled. “I hardly feel legendary, though some would say so indeed.” He then went to Sabrina, who was seated on a counter, legs crossed, cleaning her nails with a dagger. He extended his hand and said, “Well met, Sabrina. I am…”
“I know who you are, old man.” She didn’t shake his hand. After a moment, Gwydion lowered his hand, baffled. “Well I suppose we have some time to get to know each other a bit better, at least until Malek returns.” With that he took a seat in a comfortable looking chair and rolled himself a cigar of wizard weed.
“Malek didn’t return with you?” Ziven asked.
Gwydion shook his head and said, “he said he had one more errand to run. He’d be back in a few hours.”

A knock on the door interrupted the conversation between Ziven and Gwydion. All eyes in the room went to the door and then it opened. Gwydion knew the large man who entered. “Crin! What a surprise to see you here,” he said.
“Sorcerer, I am not surprised to see you here,” he said with a stern face.
Gwydion couldn’t help but laugh, and shortly after that, Crin joined him.
“Have you met my half brother yet?”
“I didn’t even know you had one, Crin.”
“Now that was a surprise for me too. He came knocking on my door a few months ago. We have a lot in common. Trimas say hello to Gwydion.”
Gwydion looked at Trimas who entered the cabin behind Crin. He was as large as Crin, possibly even a bit larger. He was extremely muscular, just like Crin. They had the same stern faces and they both moved with the grace of a warrior. The main difference was their hair color. Crin was dark as the night while Trimas was as red as the sun. “Are you sure you aren’t full brothers? Hello Trimas, well met.” Gwydion hesitantly extended his hand again.
Immediately Trimas shook Gwydion’s hand and said, “any friend of Crin is a friend of mine. Well met, old one.”
“Old one?”
“Trimas names what he sees and he says what he thinks. You’ll get used to it,” Crin said. “He has been through a lot,” he added in a vague attempt to explain it.
“Well then, young one, I’m looking forward to hearing your tale.”
The door opened again and Malek entered. He looked around the room, his gaze resting for a moment on each of the companions in turn. “Good, very good. This should suffice,” he said to nobody in particular. He grabbed a scroll from one of the shelves and opened it. “Clear the table,” he commanded.
Ziven was the first to react, as he was the most used to following orders. He swept his arm across the table, dropping all cups and plates to the floor, liquids and foods included.
Malek looked at him incredulously.
“What?” Ziven asked. “You did say ‘clear the table’, didn’t you?”
Malek frowned and stared at him for a bit longer until he said, “well we can clean that later.” He placed the opened scroll on the table. Gwydion examined it and saw that it was a map of the known world.
“According to Ziven, the dragon we are looking for is here.” Malek pointed at Dragon isle.
“How convenient,” Sabrina said.
“Now as most of you probably know, the island has rightfully earned that name. It is infested with dragons, wyverns, drakes and all other kinds of lizards, most of them very hostile.”
“We could calm the creatures. You are a bard aren’t you?” Lila said.
Malek shook his head. “I can calm most creatures with my music, that is true, but these dragons are under influence of the Dragonlord. They will be very resistant to any magic or other practices that alter the state of mind. No, I’m afraid we need a different approach.”
“Not even dragons can resist my poisons,” Sabrina offered.
Malek shook his head again and said, “too dangerous.”
“They don’t need to be awake,” Sabrina insisted.
Malek looked at Sabrina and said, “you intend to poison these noble creatures while they sleep? What if one wakes up and alarms the others?”
Sabrina frowned but didn’t counter that argument.
“No my friends, what I have in mind is to rely on Ziven’s tracking skills to find a safe path leading to where the Dragonlord made his nest.”
Crin looked at Malek and said, “are you going to trust a known bandit with the fate of the world?”
Malek frowned and said, “remember that conversation we had earlier?”
Crin nodded and didn’t say anything else.
“Now, if we encounter any creatures, I will first try to calm them with my music. If that fails, which I have to assume, that’s where you come in.” He looked at Crin and Trimas. “You both will dispatch the creature as quickly as possible.”
“We can help fight too, Malek,” Lilo said, pointing to herself and Lila.
“We can’t risk the entire party getting held back. It is your job to guide Gwydion, Ziven and Sabrina to the Dragonlord lair. If you meet any other creatures, then we have no more options and you will have to fight them. But the goal is to reach the Dragonlord as fast as possible. Once he learns we are there, he will either command all creatures on the entire island to attack us, or flee. We will have a very hard time in either occasion.”
Gwydion felt he had to ask the obvious question, looming there as an elephant in the room. “And how will we defeat the Dragonlord?”
Malek sighed then. “With all our combined efforts we should be victorious.”
“Should be? You’ll have to forgive me if I feel that those words don’t exactly instill a lot of confidence in our success, old man,” Sabrina said.
“I’m afraid I have to agree with the girl,” Crin added.
“To be honest, I was expecting the speech of the century, yet all I can hear is ‘we’re all going to die’,” Ziven said.
Lilo and Lila’s faces were stern, but they didn’t say anything. A shimmer of doubt loomed in their eyes.
“What about you Gwydion? Do you think my plan has a chance to succeed?”
Gwydion smiled and said, “I don’t hear any alternatives. The plan is as good as any. I’m in, old friend.”
Malek smiled. “So will you join us,” he asked the others.
“Today is a good day to die,” Trimas said.
“Double the gold and I’m in,” Sabrina said.
“We’re in, of course,” Lila said.
Crin nodded.
“Oh well, might as well die trying to save the world. At least the bards will sing of my heroic efforts, instead of my rogue exploits,” Ziven said.
They had a good laugh then, all except Sabrina who was looking annoyed as usual.
When the laughing stopped, Malek said very seriously, “If we fail, there will be no more bards to sing any songs.”